Possible new owner in Essex. Just after some info on the Blob eyes please

Dempsey

Hi all, I am looking to px/swap my current car I'm for a 05 plate blobeye wrx sti 300 PPP or whichever way the initials go lol.

It is the wrx sti with PPP package and is the 300 model which I know you will all have gathered from what I said before, 64k on the clock in the standard blue with the blue/black interior and aparrantly has the dccd fitted too? Not totally sure until I see the car in person first.

I am basically just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of what I really need to check over on the car (any main issues or weak points) that may need closer inspection as I have always loved the imprezas but other than knowing I like them and love the look and sound of them I know very little about the "normal faults/issues" they may suffer with.

Any advice or suggestions will be very appreciated as looking into the scoob I am quite out of my comfort zone for the ins and outs if you get what I mean.

If all goes well I may be doing the deal this week so any help welcomed with open arms.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

1st thing I would double check is it is a genuine Prodrive I see lot's and lot's of people misusing the word prodrive to try sell them. Like one I see just yesterday had a STI spoiler with some aftermarket Prodrive stickers put on which is fine with me but they was trying to sell it as a genuine Prodrive spoiler  :angry:

But full bunch of things here to check that people have added to so worth giving this a red through 1st 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

And if you need anymore info mate feel free to ask away :) 

Thanks for the link, good reading that. I'm sure there will be another few questions between now and looking at it.

I have attached a link to the car (may be known on here in a good or bad way) but if any light can be shed on it then that's good.

Don't think it has a genuine pro drive spoiler after looking at others but most other bits suggest it is and states it's 265bhp also?

As I said I don't know much in spec terms and what not in these so this is all a learning curve for me.

All help appreciated

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321498058932

Yep it does look like a genuine WRX300 model from what I can see with the STI spoiler been added on after, can't tell if it's a genuine STI spoiler or not from the pictures. Some people try to pass these off as UK300 I think thats where the confusion comes in they was only Bugeyes yes it should be 265bhp from the brochure ;) 

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/downloads/impreza-wrx300.pdf

Only thing I don't like the look of is that someone has put AWD badge on looks out of place :D 

You're welcome

6 speeds only come on the STI not on the WRX both really nice cars so don't let it put you off :) you can tune a wrx to be more powerful than a standard STI but out of the box the STI is a better car if that makes sense :) But I have two WRX's in the garage ;) 

Only real problems other than head gaskets is big end failure or the pistons sticking on the brake calipers. But they can go on any car really. as long as it's been well looked after with regular service and left to warm up before it's been opened up on boost they're a pretty well built strong car. And with Prodrive they add some nice upgraded parts too :) 

Lucky lucky, 2 wrx's.. Jus greedy :D

I have been in touch with the insurance co for a quote and they seem like they are quoting it as an STI for insurance purposes though. Is this actually classed as an STi or the Wrx300 as with his title I'm also a little unsure and want to get it insured correctly if I do go to buy it.

Sorry for the constant "newb" questions but as I say I don't know lots of "technical" info or spec on them :(

It's no problem. I would say it's always a WRX I guess the insurance want to list it as an STI maybe with it being a Limited edition car and being a bit more powerful than a standard WRX. But I would argue it's a WRX regardless maybe they don't have the model on the computer 

Could try our own club insurance with Adrian flux some people get lucky and get a good quote others don't so bit hit and miss but you're meant to get 15% off for being a club member. can ring them yourself or even speak with Dan on here 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/forum/56-subaru-insurance-discussions/

I will try again and say that after "reading the brochure" link you sent me that it is actually classed as a WRX then and not an sti. It may be the prodrive option that's making them want to class it that way but I will certainly try to argue the point yes.

As it's at a dealers it's going to be a little but if luck depending on how it was looked after but I suppose if the history all ties up with properly maintenance wise it's jus going to be down to the rest of it.

Would piston slap be very noticeable as may have to look on YouTube or something to see how they sound if they suffer?

May well try to get another quote as you say so can at least compare. :)

Yeah you can hear the piston slap sometimes more so when it's cold oil can mask it but not always something to really worry about unless it's bad we've all had many conversations on here how different sounds scare the crap out of us :D piston slap being the main one. Bigend failure is the one to worry about piston slap can be a very early sign of it but could be the oil used too. So not really easy to distinguish which one it is but should go away once warm.  

Ah that's what I meant to put sorry, yes big end failure.

Mmm, sounds lovely in that video doesn't it. :(

Is that a very common issue with these then or is it like the focus st and cracked liners situation where it does happen but not actually all that often?

I've found most people who have suffered with bigend failure have bought neglected scoobs been thrashed every where not been allowed to warm up to right temperature before being boosted not been serviced well with the right oils that sort of thing. But I guess it does happen and can happen to anyone at any time but they above seems to always be the main reasons for it to happen. Thats why I always say good service is key or someone whos done there own services I find most of the time they will be a subaru enthusiast and can tell they have looked after it :D  

Very true. I suppose whichever way you flip it whenever looking at buying a 2nd hand car it's always going to be a gamble as unless yours from new you just don't know it's history fully.

Well after speaking to the guy today he's really knocking me down on my cars price so am having to re think the possibilities now anyway as I stand to lose more than I can afford at present. Fingers crossed for some positive news from him in the end.

• Like 1

Haven't actually had a proper look on here at the sale section yet, will do though.

Mine is up for sale privately but it's not the most common car and is a little bit left field so depends how quickly it will go.

Can't really go without a car as 2 children and work travel, not something I can get around without one unfortunately :(

Like the suggestion though :)

Yep, we had to go without a car for a few days a while back and it was murder. Just complicated everything so much having to either wait for public transport or paying over extortionate taxi fayres.

We don't drive everywhere, we do walk a lot with our children and enjoy being out and about but as usual when you don't have a car is when you really could do with one the most.

Sod's law and all that.!

Hi Dan, cheers for that mate. I may well be in touch once we know more what's happening about the cars.

My current ins co quoted me over £900 with my wife as they would only insure the car as an sti which it is not but were adamant that's all they could do at present.

Went online and got quotes for £470 with it being noted as the wrx300 with prodrive package so a little more than disappointed by my current company that are aupposed to cater for modified performance cars lol.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling on but when we know a little more I will definitely get in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting unfortunately. Had someone that seemed genuinely interested in the car until organising a deposit came up and then they were suddenly having financial difficulties :(

I know I can't say they aren't having issues for sure as I'm not them and am not living their life but after all the interest and pestering to have it and agreeing on a price they have now started messing around.

Thought the Scooby was in my grasp with this coming about and it seems it's been swiped away yet again.

Hate selling cars for this very reason, plus getting really frustrated as they seem to have doubled in my area at present and everyone with an Impreza appears to be out and about whenever I am and taunting me with theirs lol.

Wanting one so bad now it's annoying :)