Finding a Cambelt kit jdm forester

soop

Hi all, I've managed to find a guy who can do my Cambelt and water pump for a hundred quid and he'll do the coolant and thermostat too but I can't find a Cambelt anywhere, it's a 2.0 turbo sport forester, engine code ej20g. 1998 forester reg : S73YDA Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Hi mate try www.importcarparts.co.uk if its not on the site call them as they'll have stock.

Failing that it will be the same as the impreza of the same age. Your best off changingbthe pullys and rollers too. You can get complete kits online

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to post a new thread to technical but it didn't work : Hi everyone, I got a mis fire last week and someone recommended changing the plugs so I did and it drove well for a few miles, then started missing again so when I got home (on 3) I looked at the old plugs and one was wet, kind of oily looking and then I noticed that the coolant was kind of graphite grey in colour, like pencil lead so I suspected head gasket, pulled the engine and have found that the heads both have these cracks from the spark plug hole to the valve hole... What do people think? It's more cost effective to buy a low mileage engine than to buy decent set of heads and rebuild, what would you guys do?

post-2769-141528757943_thumb.jpg

That been suffering det, you can see the pits in head.

Ideally want pull pistons & check ringlands etc.

If it was me I would be inclined get decent heads if find some at right price, then put in set of CP pistons & refresh bearings gaskets as needed.

You will pay fair price for used engine. Up to you really & main thing to force going full engine will be if heads not found easily/cheaply or bores/bottom end found to be not favourable.

Once done I would suggest getting fuelling checked on a dyno run or you could end up with same again unless running perfect.

If the det sensor is working a1 it helps but you still running lean & still get det which gives damage like in images above.

With turbo cars it very wise give fuelling a check.

A grand don't buy much for a decent build, decent pistons (set with rings etc) are £400.

£800 to £1000 would be budget job, Better pistons & full bottom end soon burns up half that again .

From my experience you don't get much of a recon for £1000.

bestt thing to do is inspect bores & pistons as if seem ok you could go with heads & have a cheap repair plus some cash to check out fuelling etc is good

• Like 1

It had piston slap and a knock on start up, running up to temp and on overrun.

Sounds like ideally new pistons & full rebuild then.

How much would you spend on a 98 work van?

Hard to say !

how clean/solid is the fozzy besides the engine !

I would say you would spend £1500 on parts & machine shop work for decent effort on rebuild.

will need good inspection once running to check running right, fuelling correct etc.

You can find solid SF foresters for £1500 & less although we heading to that time of year where prices tend to be less flexible. Very much something only you can decide what best option !

Sorry I replied before your last message. It's not immaculate, synchro gone on 4th and looking like going on 5th but went through latest mot with no advisories, and I just put 6 months tax. They're are loads quite cheap, I'm really stuck, it's a case of spend 1500 on a rebuild or find a whole car and put my decent bits on. ,

MM I think finding replacement could be way forward then.

If get another forester you can keep some bits & sell some to help costs.

It is quite easy to find a solid perfect running SF non turbo for £1000 to £1500

Finding good used turbo ones is not so easy ...

May be worth putting a wanted post up in parts section, never know what people have lying around,

Theres a chance ill be in posession of a foz thas been sat under a tree for the past few years, looks like we're gonna break it, if it comes together over the weekend, I'll pm you if I get the word it's coming I've not seen it yet but it's come from somone's estate who's passed so far we've rescued a glanza, 300zx and a honda fireblade