Forester 2.5 turbo XT 2006 Head Gasket

rusty999

Hi to all, I'm a newbie so hoping this is the correct forum to post about my problem.

I own a 2006 Forester XT turbo, 2.5 automatic and up until recently it was my pride and joy. However , out of the blue and for seemingly no reason the head gasket has gone, and both trhe head and the block need skimming. Which means both head gaskets need replacing as well and the best price I'm getting to repair it is 2,500 euros--I live in Ireland

A family friend has offered his 2002 Suburu legacy Outback at a knock down price as he was about to sell it anyway and it has a good engine and gearbox.

My question is: Would the engine from the Outback fit my Forester ?  The outback is a 2.5, same as mine and thats all I know about it for now.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Rusty

The engine block it's self should fit not sure how much of the ancillaries you'll need to remove/swap over.

Check the vin plate on the legacy as it will have the engine code on it.

Many Thanks for the reply, Just as a matter of interest what other car engine would be suitable  or would a Suburu impreza engine fit ? They seem to be more common to find.

I'm beginning to think now that putting a 2002 outback engine into a nice clean 2006 forester body may not be the answer and if I could manage to find a 2006 engine instead even if its not an original forester at least I would still have a reasonably good car to drive.

Thanks again 

Rusty

• Like 1

Prerty much amy subaru engine will go in, you'll probably need to have it remapped after an engine swap as the injectors and things like that could be different.

I've even seen the 3l engine from the outback shoehorned into the foz.

• Like 1

I would not mess around wih sourcing another engine, you never know how good it will be, price won't be much cheaper & the 2.5 engine is prone to HG failure in general.

Best route is replacing the gaskets on your current engine unless got other faults such as piston slap, bottom end rattles, oil consumption etc.

I do prefer doing heads with engine out but in order of making jobs viable cost to owners you can do a proper decent job with engine in situ.

Highlly unlikely block needs skimming as issue is gasket breakdown.

Just pull the inlet manifold off, remove side engine mounts & lift engine & push to one side to maxmise work space then pushed opposite way for work on other side..

Heads are best decoked & minimal skim along with valve lap etc.

Block can be cleaned with scotch brite & checked wih level & if fine finished with wet & dry on flat block.

Only use genuine revision headgaskets or the Blueprint headgasket overhaul kit if need all the extra seals.

I would estimate that job done well at around 1,580Euro for good effort & top quality parts & that would include engine flush, new synthetic oil/filter, new cambelt kit, coolant, all new seals/bolts as needed

Most important thing on the 2.5 is quality coolant & decent synthetic oil changed every 12months at least.

Thanks very much Guys for all the great info here and its certainly food for thought as to how I should proceed.

Regarding the block needing skimming--the mechanic was insistent that that should be done for some reason even though he has not even used a spanner on the engine as yet. But if I could get someone to do it for 1580 euro as suggested by Mr B I would be happy enough 

One last question and probably sounds daft to the experts here on the forum but could a diesel engine be fitted into this 2006 Forester Xt 2.5 or is that impossible

All the best

Rusty

diesel fitting will be very expensive, whole ecu & wiring needs grafting in along with fuel system mods & pairing to your current autobox would not be easy or as favourable as a manual.

Best bet is replacing headgaskets on your current lump, get some more quotes from people who know these engines, i've done several 2.5's & chance you need a block skim for the usual gasket breakdown failure is highly unlikely.