Engine coolant, should I carry with me?

DaveWRX

Hi,

Having checked the manual on my '07 Impreza WRX, I noticed the car doesn't take water as a coolant, but a special liquid supplied by Subaru. I'm embarking on a 1000 mile return trip to Scotland and back and was wondering if I should get hold of this stuff and keep it in the boot. Necessary? Thanks. D

I'd just find out what type it is as my local subaru dealer told me they've stopped selling it and to put anything u wanted in, they had some Shell coolant behind the counter too

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Depends do you know if it's ever been changed ? I know you can't add one type to another as it changes into a jelly,

I did a rad change a while back, my independent said use the longlife stuff as it doesn't contain silicates which apparently eat away the water pump impellor blades,

So I flushed it with a hose pipe and filled up with the o.a.t longlife.

Touch wood it's been ok for 6 months the only thing I've noticed is it reacts with the air and goes furry one of my pipes was loose now I have an orange beard on it ?

I keep the leftover mix in the boot but I only have to top up once in a blue moon.

Have you looked at the waterless coolants available, more expensive but supposed to be good

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks aucky. Ill check what coolant is in there now, I'm assuming its silicate free as don't have any record of coolant change over life of car. Might just keep a batch in boot if necessary. Can't imagine I'll have a problem with this country's climate though! Thanks for tips folks

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

no prob mate,easy to check just look in the expansion bottle or even your header tank if its cold,if the coolant is blue then its right,if its a pink colour then its the silicate stuff which rots your engine.

Can't always go by colour I have pink/orange o.a.t stuff in at the mo, rather stupidly they never got together and said right this colour will be xx. So any company cam make it what ever colour it likes [emoji35]

• Like 1

Can't always go by colour I have pink/orange o.a.t stuff in at the mo, rather stupidly they never got together and said right this colour will be xx. So any company cam make it what ever colour it likes [emoji35]

cool didnt no that,was always told blue none sili,pink sili.i allways get that from Halfords so am ok,but if i get a new brand i'll read lable instead off looking at the side for what coulour is in the bottle lol  ;)