Morette Full Beam not working

Straitline79

All,

Looking for some tips in working out the fault with the Morette headlights on my 2002 WRX Sportwagon.  This is a recently purchased car for me which needed a little work.  It was just about ready to go for it's MOT but then found both full beam lights dont work.  bulbs and fuses are fine.  All the other lights work.  The lights (I believe) were fitted by the original owner when he spec'd the car so not an aftermarket fit. 

When i turn the lights own i can hear a clicking sound at the passenger side headlight.  Is there another relay other than the ones in the main box in the engine bay?  Looks like its nightmare to get to without taking off the whole light fitting?  Any tips, advice or experiences?

So close...but yet so far to finally getting to drive my new toy!!

They are a real PITA. I had to sort out Morettes on my gf's bug recently. It started draining the Battery and then lost high beam. I had to replace both relays that were fitted behind lights and check all the wires. Took me a few hours but got it sorted :) So have a look around the headlights, there should be at least one relay there.

16 minutes ago, HoodedLime said:

They are a real PITA. I had to sort out Morettes on my gf's bug recently. It started draining the battery and then lost high beam. I had to replace both relays that were fitted behind lights and check all the wires. Took me a few hours but got it sorted :) So have a look around the headlights, there should be at least one relay there.

Hi HoodedLime,

OK thanks for that.  Its all pretty tight to get to it...i assume you have to take the lights off to get to the relays?  If so, how do u get the small screw at the bottom of the light out? Can you get to it without taking the bumper off?  Apologies if its a stupid question but i am new to Scooby's.    Do you know what type of relay it is?

2 minutes ago, aucky said:

dont bother with the relays way of wiring them up,here is how i did mine on my bug wagon,their littrally 10 min job each side car.

morrette wiring made simple.jpg

Hi Aucky,

The lights are already in and wired up by the original owner or by Subaru when the car was ordered.  I will go down the relay route first before having to change wiring but thanks for the picture, its saved should i need it. Will be thursday before i get to it again so will update then.

Cheers

no prob,sounds like you still have a lead that connects each headlight unit that goes across the car acroos top radiator or somewere near their,check make sure its connected ok,bad connection will stop them working.

Definitely don't have to get the bumper off. I'm sure all you need to do is take grille off and there are 2 screws on inner side of each headlight. Could be one or 2 on top too, can't remember now but you should be able to spot them. Get the screws out and gently pull them out. Relays on my gf's morettes were full of water and just rotted inside.

EDIT: What aucky said, there should be a wire going from one light to the other. Relay(s) will be on one of them. They were on passenger side on my gf's bug

Edited by HoodedLime

9 minutes ago, aucky said:

no prob,sounds like you still have a lead that connects each headlight unit that goes across the car acroos top radiator or somewere near their,check make sure its connected ok,bad connection will stop them working.

Ok Aucky, i think i know the exact wire your talking about will check it out and see how it goes. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, HoodedLime said:

Definitely don't have to get the bumper off. I'm sure all you need to do is take grille off and there are 2 screws on inner side of each headlight. Could be one or 2 on top too, can't remember now but you should be able to spot them. Get the screws out and gently pull them out. Relays on my gf's morettes were full of water and just rotted inside.

EDIT: What aucky said, there should be a wire going from one light to the other. Relay(s) will be on one of them. They were on passenger side on my gf's bug

HoodedLime, 

I will use a little TLC and try to convince it off.  Yeah i can feel the relay clicking and it is at the passenger side at the back of the light.

Thanks!

On 21 March 2016 at 9:32 PM, Straitline79 said:

Ok Aucky, i think i know the exact wire your talking about will check it out and see how it goes. Cheers.

HoodedLime, 

I will use a little TLC and try to convince it off.  Yeah i can feel the relay clicking and it is at the passenger side at the back of the light.

Thanks!

Hi Aucky,

So turns out the issue was with 1 wire going into the 4 pin relay screwed onto the back of the headlight...easy fix....or so i thought!  One of the metal connectors in the plastic housing has disintegrated into nothing.  It seems electrical stores only have the female curly type.  I cannot find the type in the picture that is flat on both sides.  Anyone know where i can get these?

IMG_20160326_115006.jpg

you could just put a new connector on,1 of these 3 pin are great for them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrical-Waterproof-Connector-1-2-3-4-5-6-Pin-Way-Superseal-Car-Boat-Kit-Clip-/222066382159?var=&hash=item33b430154f:m:m8fkUnY7eWsrc0SFlCqeIWw

if you want to ditch the stupid morrette wireing and do it easy with less faults here is how i wired mine up,did a set yesterday for a guy as well,half hour wired up and ready to go.

12804677_1303291193031237_2337199593476406604_n.jpg

Photo0120.jpg

Hi Aucky,

Thanks for the info but hopefully I won't need to mess with it again.  I drilled out the existing the plastic sheath that held the corroded connector so it now firmly holds a standard connector.  Lights tested and working.  Will keep this post handy just in case...never know what might happen!

Cheers All!

• Like 1