Turbo Timers Could Be Fined

Gambit

Right I've just been to the shop and I always use my turbo timer to keep it ticking over if I'm just popping in quick. Now when I was waiting to be served some old hill-billy ray cyrus looking chap with his hair tied back and a walking stick stopped me, and said he had got fined for leaving his car running and got 3 points at the side of the road. So I've just got back and done some research now I've found nothing about the 3 points but the fine is real by the looks of it.

Now I'm not sure if you can get round it as the car is locked and the keys are not in the ignition I'm looking into that part now but expecting not to find anything really about that as it seem's it was aimed at people in taxis but knowing how petty the council and Police can be with fines I would like to know :)  

Not that I will stop using it keeping my car in good working order is more important to me ;) 

Here's one of the news articles on it 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231460/Drivers-leave-engines-running-clear-screens-face-fines-idling-offence-rules.html

I guess it is true as the paper said was brought out as far back as 2002  :o

I've not been busted for using one and I have used mine all the time I even use it for 30 seconds after just a normal drive. I think it's down to the officer really maybe he was unlucky or was mouthy to the officer. I'm just shocked that you can get fined for leaving the car running. Hidden tax ;) 

its abit of a legalaity thing this, you cant leave your keys in the car whilst its running, cars not secure so anyone could just jump in . however as you can take your keys out and lock your car then the car is secure and even if someone broke in the steering lock would be on and also once its timed out the car is dead. its the same as the point of starting your car and leaving it running during the winter to de ice before you drive it. , police turn a blind eye to that one. and one last thing , what about these keyless remote starters. that can start the car by a button remotely whilst the car is still locked, there not illegal.. i think you could get off with the timer thing for the safty aspect of the car is secure and the keys are in your pocket. totally different when you leave the keys in whilst its running

I agree I just want to find out for sure. Even if it is fine-able I would still use mine it's habbit I've done it for far to long it's like putting a seat belt on for me now. or a condom when sleeping with an unknown not that that has ever happend to me think the leathers and whip scare them off :) 

mmmm know the feeling  always best to be sure. just like i m sure the sheep will always come to me to the sound of a plastic bag. the mrs on the other hand i would like to put in a bag............... :ph34r:  ahem.......... i digress. i will have a look into this too. i have a friend in the traffic department.

Funny enough a mate of mine is a copper from over your side of the rock in Wales but don't think he's traffic I can ask him see what he says. I would guess it would be something like "only go dogging in jeans and t-shirt and not in full bondage gear"... Oh yeah sorry we're on about the timers :D 

• Like 1

The offence is against S42 of the RTA 1988 (called quitting), is dealt with by
Regulation 107(1) of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 1986
(SI 1986/1078)

What that law says is: Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on
any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to
drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set.
Exemptions to the requirements of this Regulation as to the stopping of the
engine include a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any
fire brigade purpose.

In English, that means that if the engine is running and the car is parked on a public highway, you can be found guilty of the offence, no ifs, no buts. Its a fine only with no points.

If you leave your car with the engine running on your own driveway, thats fine, but not on a public road.

The other thing is insurance. If the car is stolen and it was found that the car had its engine running at the time, you are simply not covered, even if you can prove the security measures in place.

Having said all that, I will still use a turbo timer. :)

Cheers Tlag

And like you I will still use it :) I can see the point about the insurance but being fined I think is wrong. It's my risk I take I've paid for the fuel it's wasting and the very small amount of tax on the the fuel  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: <<<< one for each tax on fuel ;) So next step get some fire brigade stickers :D

Haha Guinea pig ;) 

think it's £30 fine anyway from what I can find. and this poor guy got fined for defrosting his windows. I think a bit of discretion should be used sometime's :( But if you read on the guy says you can lock it and take the key away yet the office said the key was in the car...?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504888/Driver-fined-leaving-engine-running-car-defrosted-outside-home.html

• 4 weeks later...

insurance companies don't like timers or remote starts as they seem to think it's prone to moving off of it's own accord, in reality the car will kill the timer will cease activation the second the hand brake is released so it's not prone to theft even if the car was unlocked, the remote start won't activate unless the cars handbrake is applied and the car is in neutral so again not much chance of any mishap, the problem would arise however if the relevant electrics were fitted by a cowboy or the items were cheap ones that didn't require the safety aspect of said parts