obd versions

bought a cheap scanner off the bay, 

finally found out that it won't read my ecu as it's an elm32 protocol and early obd isn't compatible, so i had a hunt round for odb1. but the access port under the dash conflicts this as it would appear to be obd2, so further investigation LED me to think i was ok and just needed a different scanner,

from what i read it isn't odb2 so i'm confused as hell, i can't work out if mine's been butchered or not as the picture shows it's a bit mangled

i have pin 1 4,5 12 & 13 but it looks like someone attacked it with a screwdriver,  the loom at the back has at least a dozen wires running into it, does anyone have a clue as to what it is or can point me in the right direction, as the pin configuration doesn't relate to any of the protocols in use,

did subaru use their own system before the wordwide acceptance of a standardized system ?

found this but i'm still in the dark

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html#dates  

post-878-0-99050600-1376834440_thumb.jpg

From what I can find they started to change the OBD as early as 94 to OBDII 

Some 1994 and 1995 models are also supported. To see if your vehicle is compliant, pop the hood and look for this sticker

rfu.gif

Model year 1996 and newer vehicles are compliant by default, and will not have this sticker.

And I agree looks like it's been well attacked :( 

• Like 1

Subaru used there own system. Something like 'Subaru select' or similar.

You should be able to read codes without anything at all though. Older Scoobs have a pair of green plugs and pair of black plugs under the dash, just in front of your left knee if driving.

Connect the two blacks together and turn the ignition on until the lights come on the dash. You can then count the number of times the 'check engine' light comes on as it flashes.

A long flash is 10 and a short flash is 1.

That will give you your codes. It will scroll through all the codes it has and then repeat them.

• Like 2

cheers, 

being a 97 i thought it may be compliant, i'm just a little confused as to the port, i think i have the sets of leads  under the dash too as i found a group of about 4 the other day.

i'll have a dig around tomorrow, did the subaru own system attach into the 16 pin port then ?

just out of interest what port/amount of pins have others got on 98/99 models?

While looking around i've just answered my own question for anyone with a my99 or below you will need a ps701 diagnostic tool. And they are about a ton so if i need to i'll just stick to counting the flashes of the CEL

• Like 2

Gambit, Don't hold me to this but it looks like all jap cars from around 94-99. They use the obd style port as an interface . Is there anyone on here with a uk spec classic we could ask to confirm ?

Hi mate thanks for replying It's near the foot pedals under the steering wheel normally but if your's is an 02 it will be good old OBDII so it wont help what we was trying to find out but thanks anyway mate much appreciated

• Like 1

just seen this, sorry I have been sorting new cars and things out after my problems with my diff yes mine is a uk I think I hav a port under steering wheel but I don't hav the car here will look next time I go and sort car out.