might have dreaded engine knock :(

mxbe

As the title realy but ill give you a bit more info any input from people would be good.

About a week ago I noticed what sounded like a rattling type noise I thought heat shield was lose. Well looked last night and it is but now I have sorted that I can hear a klicking/tapping noise near the turbo. I have had an engine before that had engine knock ina scooby I hot for the shelk so I know what it sounds like when its bad. Not to sure if this is the start of it.

Conected up the fault code plugs under the dash and got 3 faults.

13 cam shaft position sensor.

22 knock sensor

23 MAF sensor

Got the cam covers of last night and they look like there aligned ok hard to see in dark and will make sure when home but 99% on them. I think it might be when I went on holiday I disconected the sensor incase anyone tried to nick the car and then I forgot and tried starting it so might be old fault. I have a second hand one I will try in it to see if its that.

MAF is the factory standard on and I hear that they do die. Anyone know if you can test them with a multi meter googled it but could find anything. I have someone who might have the same on his car so will loan it to me to test.

Now the nock sensor is a worry soi have a spair I wilk try as well.

One problem is when clearing the fault codes

Ignition off

4 conectors

Ignition one but not started

Throatal all way half way and light should come on

Drive wait for light to flash

Stop disconect and done

When I conect them and turn ignition on the light cones on stright away I do the throatl thing and then start the car it goes off and does flash about a min l8er so looks like it has worked but I stip the car and faults r still there. Now the cam shaft one I had once before because I disconected it and im sure that cleared fine. Now it wont. So it makes me thinm the codes wont clear.

When driving the car normal check engine light is off.

Tapping get quieter when car is hotter load when stone cold

Disconected Battery last night and left it off to see if it wilk clear the codes.

I know with the 99 clasics some people say there obd2 but my code reader wont see it my usb code reader wont and I have a vagcom usb I have tried with ssm software and that wont so have given up trying to conect to it.

Any thoughts anyone

Btw car is impreza 99 front mount 3inch exhaust dump valve and induction kit fitted

Thanks all

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Sorry I have to run off now just wanted to let you know it has been seen hopefully someone will be able to help before I get back as there is a lot to read there :) 

Tlag, MD two best people I think to ask on here if they come on before me but know both are busy :( 

I know with the classic there is a trick you do with the black wires under the steering wheel the classic has a self diagnostic. Will have a look when I get back mate if nobody has been able to help before 

:(

Leaving the Battery off for an hour should clear the codes, so overnight should be fine.

Bearings knocking normally get louder with the revs going up and don't change with the engine being hot, unless you have caught it very early.

If you can find a long piece of thin metal or a long screwdriver, go around the engine with one end on the engine in various places and your ear next to the other end. You should be able to narrow down where the noise is coming from. Be careful near the rotating belts ;)

• Like 2