Sell it, break it, fix it

Had it confirmed today the h/g's are gone so as the title, I just dont know what to do, either sell it the way it is and cut my losses, break it, wich take !Removed! ages and still end up having lying about ending up getting thrown out, or fix it. If I was to (try) and fix it, I'd try and take the engine out (with help from a neighbour) and give it to the mobile mechanic I use to help cut the cost down.

But as of right now....I just dont know what's the best/right thing to do....I've got an ad and some photos ready though

I would say if you sell it I would say it will be a breaker that buy's it. the parts are worth more then the car's at the minute which is a shame see lots getting broken down so not going to be many left before long :( MD performance was on about the same thing.

I would maybe look at what you want to still change on the car is it going to be worth the build and new part's like the exhaust. If it was mine I would repair it but it is like a pet Dog ;) almost apart of the family.

Only good thing is if you do choose to rebuild it you know it's done and whats been done. I would say the car's value for good ones will increase. I would even say the not so good ones at some point when there is so little amount on the roads :) 

I know it's not helped really but as I've said before tough choice to make but only you can do that :) 

Thanks Gambit, y'know between you and Jay (maybe 1 or 2 others but not a lot at all) you guys are great!!

I just spoke to the local factors about it and he said if I'm repairing it to use the fibre gasket and steel, is this right enough....I thought steel was the best way to go, he said (and I guess it makes sense) fibre's more forgiving, hence it's recommended, is that right enough

I,m not sure which model of car you have. However, either way, make sure you get the heads skimmed if you repair it.

I prefer the metal gaskets over the fibre ones and as long as the heads are skimmed, they would be best in my opinion.

Not sure how attached to the car you are but with HG problems, it has to be worth repairing. If you sold it as it is or even broke it, you would buy another car, probably with unknown history and could be in the same position in a few weeks.

Take the opportunity to change the timing belt and water pump at the same time unless you know how old they are.

• Like 1

It's a 95 wrx sti import, 86000 (140000kms), vgc for its year, timing ect was done about 15k miles but the date on the receipt is 2010/11, I know what you're saying about selling and getting something else I don't know, that's true, but if I did, this i'd get a block tester, and if the dye changed, I'd walk away. I don't mind other engine bits, and wear n tear stuff, but heads, that's different.

So if I was to try and fix it you say a steel gasket....I got a price from the dealer, I asked for a c/h gasket kit....400 + vat, just shy of 500 ffs.....I'm sure I could get it cheaper and the same quality

I'll see what happens, still not sure what to do, I feel kinda sorry for the car and the way it's been treated from the last 5-6 idiots, I'm not a fast driver, I just like the cars for what they are, ie shape, sound, awd....mpg though =****

Like I say, see what happens

Thanks Gambit, y'know between you and Jay (maybe 1 or 2 others but not a lot at all) you guys are great!!

I just spoke to the local factors about it and he said if I'm repairing it to use the fibre gasket and steel, is this right enough....I thought steel was the best way to go, he said (and I guess it makes sense) fibre's more forgiving, hence it's recommended, is that right enough

You're welcome mate 

we try to help out when we can. Not all member post I think that has a bit to do with other Subaru forums how some members speak to other's so they don't like to post on here and other might not have the answer to a question or have no knowledge at all like a mate of mine. Mind you I would be surprised if he could find his way around a woman ;) I understand some know more then other's. I don't know lot's myself I find by helping though I learn more for myself and other's :) 

And I would go with Tlag's advise someone with his back ground works with Subaru engines and has one as a toy I'd trust him with my car any day of the week ;)

I know, but i'd also need to hire a hoist, I'd probably get it for a week as it's 30 a day or 60 a week, that's me up at 300.....or 700ish to get the mobile mechanic I use to do it. And I suppose if I was to take out and to him and supplying the gaskets, it'd still probably be about 700 adding his labour on....so it's 6 and half a dozen I think

If I do this I'll have a better chance to sell for decent money

I agree you will have better chance to sell it, but I would keep it as you know you have had all that work done. As Tlag said you get another one it could be just as much of a horror story, this way you know it's not been abused and should get many miles out of her again other then the stuff like bearing's and plug's ect ect :)

I know

I forgot to add on the head skimming, that's another 50odd....call it about 400ish that'smore doing it (honestly don't know if I could).....I forgot that the engineers want the valves out, so I'd need to buy the tool to do it.....I might be 450ish.....it's now not looking cheap doing it myself

I would try get some quotes 1st for what you want doing from garages. And also price up what the cost is doing some of the work yourself and then go from there. if there is not much in the cost to pay someone to do the full  job and the price is good for you do that. If not I guess spares or repairs :( 

give martin a call at Sheffield Subaru services mate and see what he suggests, I got a clutch and it cost just £180 for fitment, hes bang on with prices and I believe he has the heads off a scoob at the min if im not mistaken.