Rear Shocks SG 04

Walleye60

I have just received a set of rear shocks for my 04 2.L Na X but just hope the they are right I have a uncertain feeling things are not but what I got are a set of Ashika MA 70014 OE20360SA000 and Ashika MA 70013 OE 2036010 I did a lot of checks but so unsure as when I  did a lookup it for my model it came out with 20360SA020 which are unavailable

Technically you will have none that match if check via vin or reg as your Foz has Subaru own design high pressure gas over hydraulic self levelling system and no one does a self levelling replacement shocks beside genuine subaru (made by Tokico Japan) .

The good news is the units you got fit but you MUST pair with springs that non self levelling spec (SLS).
SLS spring are softer as the high pressure in a SLS strut assists the spring and that how it gets height control (uses valves and hydraulics and strut motion as a pump) .

If you use original springs the rear sags same as with original struts with failed SLS .

Ideally you want use KYB springs RA6028 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274891435996

They (RA6028) are 14.6mm thick coils and give best ride height on aftermarket shocks.
If you do absolute no towing and carry no heavy load you can use KYB springs RC6431 but these can sit a little on low side of standard ride height spec as they lighter duty with 13.5mm thick coils
The factory SLS spec springs are 12.5mm thick coils and CAN NOT be used with aftermarket shocks .

Is a fair few threads on this forrum covering rear suspension, I always use KYB 334344 and KYB 334345 for rear shocks as they cheap on eBay as overstock clearance and they made in japan quality plus KYB is an OEM for Subaru (original front struts and top mounts all made by KYB)

• Like 1

Thankyou very much Mr B for your time and information you have put my mind at ease I will have a look at the links you have gave me and buy replacement springs. I do carry a fair weight loaded in the rear with camping and fishing gear so will have the thicker coils . I kept looking at the rear of Foz and noticed one side was lower so I had a couple of third party opinions all agreed one of the shocks is on its way out

RA6028 springs sound ideal for you then and what I recommend as keeps vehicle more usable, They only £20 more than the RC6431 as a pair .
KYB is 99% what we use on these as good quality and currently prices very good .
Is very common on SF and SG foresters to have sagging rear suspension around 14 years old or anywhere between 90K and 130K pending on vehicle usage and luck ,
Fortunately it pretty cheap resolve and to be fair shocks well worth replacing on old and high mileage vehicles  anyway .
You will need new bump stop rubbers as they generally not suitable for reuse, KYB do these in shock protection kits and include shock protection bellow at £21  for whole kit covering 2 shocks.

Protection kit KYB 910046
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234359305433

It super easy job fitting the shocks, is a thread on here walking through process with few tips .

• Like 1

You can reuse the old top mounts if not a rusted mess (generally they are good order) & the lower rubber seats (insulators) are reusable.
You will add another potential £100 to the cost buying all these new in quality brand .
I get the insulator rubber seats from amayama via UAE, For a pair it probably cost £15 .
Top mounts would be KYB SM5422 preferably (Left & Right are same so buy 2), cheaper option Kamoka currently but ideally reuse originals unless seriously corroded/perished mess which generally they not without other areas showing serious corrosion .
Part links >
top mounts KYB https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174630875249
top mounts Kamoka https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303871243537

rubber spring seat insulators https://www.amayama.com/en/part/subaru/20375fc001

I did thanks but a bit of a problem with the rubber spring seat insulators they have them in stock but with the current state of affairs they couldnt give a date of arrival could be over 6 weeks I will have a word with my mechanic to see if the original ones can  be reused  but he wanted to build the new ones then a straight swop  once again thankyou for all your help

It like 5 minutes a strut to dismantle, we hardly ever use new top mounts or rubber insulator as they generally will be good and zero hassle swap parts over compared to cost/hassle new if not truly needed !
The rubber insulators will be 99% likely reusable, generally only time we use new is when build up SG Forester struts to fit old SF Forester .
If you do need the try ICP (import car parts) or local subaru dealers parts department, give them part number and tell them it spring insulator and await the price surprise .

@Walleye, I have a set of complete suspension for an SG5 listed, you probable seen it.  Just to help out, if interested you can have it only for the shipping fee or for free if you want to pick it up. As stated 40k on the set, nothing wrong with it. 

If you want to go this way and works for you and happy you can pay me (or not) whenever and whatever you think is fair.

Just let me know. 

Could i pop a question onto this thread.

Would the part numbers and links listed above by the ever helpful Mr B be the same for my standard 2008 SG9 XT.   No signs of deterioration yet but always handy to have parts pencilled in just in case.

11 hours ago, Dr. Acula said:

I can extend the same offer to enyone in need. 

We can put these to good use saving a Forester SF that needs all new struts/hardware and make it cost viable repair. (will fit SF but got adapt brake line brackets)
PM me, can pay a sensible part cost and shipping .

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, Mr B said:

Did you buy those Kamoka mounts as see they sold ? was cheaper than we could get on trade account .

I had to cancel the above order as they are based in Eastern Europe and with the current situation didnt know how  long delivery would take so I bought some from a UK dealer but everything is fitted now and sweet so once again thanks for all your help Mr B

20 hours ago, Walleye60 said:

I had to cancel the above order as they are based in Eastern Europe and with the current situation didnt know how  long delivery would take so I bought some from a UK dealer but everything is fitted now and sweet so once again thanks for all your help Mr B

that sucks as shows as London .
If was Poland it been pretty quick, we get some exhausts via poland along with some oem parts at times and it 7 to 10 days .
Glad to here all fitted good, have fun with the Fozzy ...