Battery gone on Subaru Forester 2012 XD

emeritus

My Subaru Forester has 100k miles. Interior lights left on and drained the Battery. Tried to jumpstart with Noco Boost Plus GB40 (which has worked  before) but not today.

Lights, radio, headlights work but car won't start.

Question - where to buy a new Battery, recommended model (and who to fit it please if you are Newcastle based)

At 100k is this car going to be expensive to maintain or should I look to sell? I have no other mechanical issues with it (yet!)

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Paris in 2018 when my interior light killed the Battery over night.

I was gobsmacked that a 20W bulb could kill a Battery of 700W power.

Jump started from a LandRover, never had a problem since, until last year, when my Battery finally died after about 130k miles.

I had one thrown in my garden, left over from a mercedes I owned before this subaru, and because the Battery was new at that time I didn't want to sell the mercedes with the battery on it (not for the price he offered me).

So I kept the battery in my garden, and 6 years later I fitted it to my subaru, started it and is behaving perfectly since then.

So, my battery was new - not used for 6 years - and kept in the garden   .   .   .   a blue/white Bosch Car Battery 075

I replaced my front bearings at about 140k because of noise, that took me 4 hours each on the street in front of my house, and I need to replace my rear ones now at 145k.

A bush here, and an anti-roll bar link there, brake pads and discs   .   .   .

Since Jan 2016 I think I spent less than £1000 in parts for this car, excluding tires and oils, did the work myself.

Now at 145k I just got a major problem with the engine (and that may force me to change cars).

Either the rear crankshaft seal has popped out and is dripping oil when the engine is running (I'd fix this and keep the car), or headgasket blown and dripping oil (I'd sell the car for this).

I still investigate what's happened last saturday.

Keep driving though.