CVT and petrol???

how good   .   .   .   or how bad is a CVT gearbox?

after my latest engine issues, I am thinking of a nice new subaru (maybe an outback this time), but they all come nowadays with CVT gearboxes.

You press your clutch as it should be and don't grind any gears when changing them, and you change its oil a bit more often than regularly, and I know a manual gearbox will last for a million miles and back.

Would a CVT gearbox last that long?

Or put the question differently: what shall I do so a CVT gearbox would last that long?

the other question

is petrol usage and self-maintenance near to diesel, for say about 8000 miles per year?

for about £200 per year more expensive I'd switch to petrol

but for £500 more I wouldn't

and no hybrid or electric at all please.

when I work on my cars I always have little accidents, you know, a scratch here a black fingernail there;

but in case of a mistake on an electric power system my family would bring a vacuum to take back in the house.

so for a hybrid or electric car I will forbid myself to do any work on it.

and to save the planet just so I can kill my family by starving it because all my money went to greedy garages, is a no-no for me forever.

besides when the revenues from fossil fuel will stop, they WILL put their taxes up on the electric because we use it as a fuel.