2.0ltr non turbo running fault

swamp_thing

Couple of days ago was driving and it felt a bit lumpy, later on in the day I pulled up at some lights and it got worse and started popping and kinda like missing, tried revving up and it sounded awful Nd wanted to stall. Wouldn't move or anything and then cut out. Had to get it recovered home. Was told probably the coil so replaced that but still no better :( any idea gladly rscieved!!!

You don't say what model year the car is. It sounds like the recovery guy was guessing.

The way to do this properly is check for codes. If it's new enough, it will need to be plugged in to a machine. If it's an older model, you can check the codes manually. Do a search on the forum for code reading and you should find the topic.

This may sound stupid but you hadn't just put fuel in had you? I recently heard of similar symptoms on a legacy was caused by putting diesal in by mistake.

My running issues when I bought my non turbo auto was rocker gaskets & this sounds pretty deja vu to me.........pull your plug leads out (from the spark plug end) & check them for any signs of oil or oil pooling down there causing an arc from the plug if so it's rocker gasket time.also pull your ht leads off from the coil pack,any tinge of green on the contact points means there's a lil arcing going on.Hope this helps :ph34r:

My running issues when I bought my non turbo auto was rocker gaskets & this sounds pretty deja vu to me.........pull your plug leads out (from the spark plug end) & check them for any signs of oil or oil pooling down there causing an arc from the plug if so it's rocker gasket time.also pull your ht leads off from the coil pack,any tinge of green on the contact points means there's a lil arcing going on.Hope this helps :ph34r:

HT leads/spark plugs.You might want to check your plugs to see what's going on tbh

For health & safety reasons I have to add the following "Don't be doing any of the above when your Scooby is running :unsure: ".lol

i also keep getting a spat of rough idle but not to this sort of extreme keeps us updated that way if mine gets any worse i will know where to look ;)

on a lighter note i hope you can get this sorted fairly cheaply

• Like 1

Yeah should be where Stanton said around the fuse box area 

I would pull your mafs leads off see if it stalls if it does that should be fine if it doesn't sure sign it's failed pretty common to cause bad idle and stalling. 

i also keep getting a spat of rough idle but not to this sort of extreme keeps us updated that way if mine gets any worse i will know where to look ;)

on a lighter note i hope you can get this sorted fairly cheaply

When my rocker gaskets failed,the roo would start fine & idle fine even thou the plug sockets were swamped in 5 30s !.....But put your foot down she ran on 3 then 2.If I set off real slow the roo would run bang on,but any sudden throttle just killed it back to 3 & 2 firing cylinders & no disrespect to Subaru,but there a B4ll ache to work on in my opinion but i will not be getting rid in the foreseeable future,she's a family member now after obviously my missis & 3 children...."Had to say say that because she probably read's this too :rolleyes: "

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of days ago was driving and it felt a bit lumpy, later on in the day I pulled up at some lights and it got worse and started popping and kinda like missing, tried revving up and it sounded awful Nd wanted to stall. Wouldn't move or anything and then cut out. Had to get it recovered home. Was told probably the coil so replaced that but still no better :( any idea gladly rscieved!!!

Did you ever get your problem sorted ?I was wondering because you never said you had the engine started after having the car recovered. Maybe the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two .