2001 S-Turbo exhaust options

Rich H

Hi All,

I picked up a 2001 (Y) S-Turbo last Winter purely as a winter runaround. The car's stood me well so far, but the backbox is now very much on its last legs.

What options am I looking at in terms of replacement? I want to try and use OEM parts rather than motorfactor / pattern parts if possible, but trying to find OEM Forester parts seems near on impossible!

Would a prodrive backbox from a New Age, Blob Eye, Bug Eye Impreza fit? Or is anybody selling A Hayward & Scott or Prodrive backbox for an early Forester?!

Cheers,

Rich

That was quick! Thank you.

So my next complication is that it had a towbar fitted when I bought the car, as a result one of the mounts is missing and has been replaced with one designed to accommodate the towbar too. I've removed the towbar, but had to keep this bracket for now so that the backbox can stay in place - as I've got to replace this, would I be best trying to get an Impreza one or not?

Regarding the extension, I'd read 3" somewhere - so if I extend the midsection by 3" that should allow the backbox to stick out far enough? Relocating the hangers - just cut them off the backbox and re-weld to suit for the Forester?

Part of me wants it to sound more like a Scooby should, but the other part of me enjoys having a quiet. comfortable car lol.

I had the same thing with the tow bar but my entire system was shot so they custom made the rear box hangers to fit the two bar bracket,i'm sure if you can get an impreza box and take it to a fabrication place along with the car they should be able to move the hangers to fit,

I've been told the centre sections are the same and the rear between the diff is slightly longer so that's why people cut the flange and extend the rear box, again no idea if true or not

I would get a stainless backbox custom made either by longlife or powerflow, longlife do good work but powerflow has lot more outlets so most people got one close. Price probably about £145 ...

The impreza exhausts fit badly in my opinion unless chop them about fair bit so follows standard exhaust line better, by time you buy materials/pay someone mod it the price is not so favourable. works out ok if get a decent impreza backbox free or real cheap & you handy with welder .

Thanks, it looks like I can pick up an Impreza box for ~£100 - I hadn't actually thought about getting powerflow to do just a backbox. I did consider a full system, but I had a full system fitted to another car in the past, and despite the brief being to make it as quiet as possible, it was still louder than I wanted which puts me off a bit!

I actually bought a prodrive used back box for my y reg forester but still had to get hangers sorted my mechanic did it for free so it was fine. Mine is a bit short so it's half way in bumper but I wasn't bothered about it. If you want il take a pic of mine and post it.

=_=

Regards

Steveuk260