my first post, help cant open the boot

geisha

Hello all and happy new year

having trouble opening the boot,  looked very silly after buying a carpet, and not being able to put it in in the rear, but stuffing it on to the rear seats,,,,,,,have used both keys, just will not budge     any ideas???

what year/model forester ?

You tried locking/ unlocking via remote then pulling boot handle !

Perhaps wriggle handle little while trying use key!

If unable open you may need pull inner trim off & manually try release it, can be a pain if mechanism jammed/detached !

hi  thank you

its a forester xten  2457cc   57 plate     I take it that I have to get into the back and try and release it some how ? and if it goes again its going to be  a expensive job?

it may not be too expensive - probably just needs a bit of tweaking - just a guess but it might be the metal hoop it latches to has moved slightly not allowing the levers to be released, that is just a couple of bolts

Thank you 

I was able to open the boot by following the above. but it still stays locked again so I will have to book her in to get it sorted,

I don't feel confident about trying to do the job myself

but thank you all for your help

• 1 month later...

had this on my 2004 xt. looking in from under the release handle for boot/tailgate sprayed aload of wd40 got the handle loose by moving back and forth aload and when this had dripped for awhile sprayed aload of lithium grease onto the mechanism that you just about see from undeneath (above number plate), also paid attention to hinge/pivot for the handle.  The issue with it not unlocking is due to this not being fully release the same happens if your pulling the door handle and unlock the car.