2003 WRX PPP boosting problem

Hench

Hello all, 

I am hoping that there might be someone her that might have a few suggestions on what might be causing my problems in order for me to sort it out.

I bought my 2003 WRX with Prodrive Performance Pack fitted back in July 2014 and when I bought it I knew it had a split Turbo-Intercooler Y pipe.. The prodrive one. It was loosing boost heavily but the new silicone item I purchased of eBay was at first perfect. All of a sudden WOW this car is quick!!  Big Grin!!! (my reaction on my first test drive after fitting) 

Any way over the next few weeks of playing about I developed another boost problem which seemed to be intermittent and not too frequent. If I was to be say cruising at 60 in 5th and drop it into 3rd before accelerating hard (i.e. to over take etc.) all of a sudden as I put my foot down the car dumps its boost.. I get a big woosh from the dump valve then boom we are off.. a few days later I noticed it again when i came to a roundabout but didn't quite stop but made it to 1st gear ready to accelerate. I put my foot down and exactly the same thing happened.

I have driven the car for a little while now, as is, trying to find answers my self to no avail but have tried to avoid driving in a manor that induced this cars response. 

I had a few days off the other day so decided Id spend some time and remove the intercooler again and see if pipes had come loose split etc and see if any thing seemed out of place. I also removed and replaced the MAF and throttle position sensor plugs (not the sensor itself) in case there were any bad connections. 

Nothing was apparent and so i fitted everything back and made sure Id tightened all my jubilees properly just in case.

when I took the car off to test the problem has returned with a vengeance when ever I accelerate hard in any gear, if the revs are high enough to be within the turbo band, it dumps its boost first before regaining its composure and then taking off. However this doesn't happen at all if accelerate hard from a stationary position right through the gears. in this case the car seems to perform as it should until I come off the gas and accelerate again if for example I come up behind a slower car and have to wait for it to pull in before I can pass.

since I fitted the new Y pipe I have also noticed that once the car is warmed up I start to hear an audible kind of continuous beeeeep whilst on the accelerator if the turbo is spooling. this comes in at about 3000 revs and goes when I lift off the accelerator. It comes back once I step back on the go juice at about 3k again. It seems to be coming from the dash around the dials or steering area.

I have tried my best to describe the issues and hopefully someone with the knowledge may be able to help me with some information for a potential fix and also what this damn beep is please..

Many thank in advance for taking a look and piping up if you have any clues..

Hench

Hi,

Thank you for takingbtime to reply...

Ill be honest i dont actually know, but did notice the other day whoever fit it before i owned it used 2 layers of card as the gasket. I will take a photo and post it on my lunch break..

I did wonder if this might have been a problem but it seems i made it worse by removing my intercooler and MAF /TPS plugs and assumed as i didnt remove the DV its unlikely... but then im no expert and and was litterally just assuming.

No worries mate, a proper gasket may help things !

Some cars don't like the vent to atmosphere ones and prefer the normal recirculation type, has there been any fault codes come up ? May be worth getting a cheap OBD scanner and seeing

I have delved too deep yet was hoping i might find a quick fix first. . Do you think DV is likely to be the cause or at least 1st point to check... ill start by teplacing the gasket if so and then possibly the DV itself..is there a recommended brand or style i need to buy?

Subarus normally have recirculation valves so some of the air gets pushed back into the intake, the maf will have metered for this, when you fit a vta dump valve obviously the air escapes causing the car to thing it's still getting the correct mix but it isn't. It's a bit hit and miss people have reported problems and gone back to oem type while others run fine?

I'd change the gasket and have a look at all your vac lines from the turbo to boost soliniod, there should be a brass pill inside one of the lines (not sure of location) on newage cars and may be worth cleaning out the boost soliniod too with some brake cleaner.

• Like 1

Ah ive heard of this pill n know where it is ill take a look at that too.. thank you... ill report back

Again thanks for the advice. Any more ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated too...

Ok so here are the photos of the DV

i cant say for sure but i think i found it online as in the last photo.. they look exactly the same and its from www.mattlewisracing.com however he only sells them for 97-99 models could this be the problem?? I also believe he sells on eBay...

post-3668-1421241790_thumb.jpg

post-3668-142124180102_thumb.jpg

post-3668-142124181158_thumb.jpg

post-3668-142124182425_thumb.jpg

post-3668-142124183593_thumb.jpg

post-3668-142124184192_thumb.jpeg

Ok.. so rather tgan beating around the bush ive bought a new DV... HKS SSQV with a new adapter plate with sealing O'rings.. ill wait delivery.. which is about 15 days from now and report back to let you know the out come.

Than you for your advice...

If anyone else has anything to add please feel free your knowledge is grwatly appreciated .

Sorry I'm up in the middle of no where not much reception.

Well that's one way to rectify the problem lol. I've not really got any experience with dv'd as I'm still using the stock one. I know a couple of members have the hks ones and they seem to run well.

Be interesting to see the results [emoji2]

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE...

Waited 2 !Removed! weeks for new DV...

Doesnt fit lmao...

Firstly... HKS SSQV is a fake as per several "how to spot" videos and forum posts...

Secondly... Adapter flange is a load of tosh! Doesnt allow the DV to be fitted as it fouls the inlet manifol.

Thirdly... its almost impossible to fit the DV to the adapter flange.

All in all a rather unsucessfil outcome.

Awaiting a reply from seller with regards to selling counterfeit goods as genuine.. hopefully they will cough up my doh. Then its back on the hunt for another..

I will report back once i get a step further but use this as a warning all...

If it looks too good to be true.. errr it is!

Not sure if this helps, but you could try cleaning the DV to see if it stops it sticking. I've heard brake cleaner is best for this. Then when re-fitting use a new correct gasket as has been recommended by Stants along with the hoses. When you take off the old one though, make sure its the right one and is fitting correctly between the hole and DV because any overlaps from a wrong gasket will also cause problems.

Hi Dino,

Thank you for that information ill be setting myself aside some time to have a go at that..

When you say gasket overlaps do you mean the gasket restricting the flow and the size of the hole between the intercooler and the DV?