Low idle

macca_mcfc

Hi there i have a 2005 Sport R Impreza

When i bought it the garage told me it failed its MOT on emissions. He never told me what he did to pass it. I wondered if he may of somehow turned down the Idle. I know how to do this on old cars but does anybody know the procedure for these.

Much appreciated

Well my guess would be he used a donor car I.e one he knew would pass and just added your reg on the computer, very common thing to do :) They might have added something to the oil also just to lower it. I don't think he would have done anything to the idle unless it was over revving :)

I thought that maybe they have used a donar car. I have serviced it recently so doubt it's an oil additive.

500rpm when warm is slighly low tho.

With the subaru brat I had we used to turn it down on the carb

So might have a play with the IACV when I get home see what that does

As for the de-cat ill have to look. Pretty sure it is very standard tho so I'm certain it has a cat :-)

it shouldnt necessarily fail on emissions then - could be that a good service, injector clean and a few miles with decent fuel will clear the system out and get it combusting closer to optimum and sort the emissions

Maybe so yeah. Ill have a look at the idle control valve see if I can make it a bit better

Done a good thousand miles since owning it.

No harm in it being so low can just be a bit of a pain when setting off.

Ill sort it :-)