Forester 2005 stereo + speaker upgrade

I am looking to replace the factory fitted 6 disc Stereo system and speakers with something a little more meaty. Not interested in going down the route of subs and amps, just a good quality head unit and speakers, ideally with a usb port so I can run music off a memory stick or my android phone. From reading around there seems to be an issue with the sat nav being connected to the Stereo, is it possible  to install an aftermarket Stereo and still retain the function of the built in sat nav? Would i be better off going for something like one of those 'grom' Bluetooth usb devices that connects into the back of the Stereo (about £100) and sticking with the standard system to retain the sat nav facility?

Hi, I have no Idea about the head unit as mine's an older model, however the speakers in all subaru's are rubbish. An most of us have upgraded the factory speakers.

This time I just went for a cheap setup from Halfords some 6" for the front and 4.5" in the rear I left the tweeters alone but the need doing at some point.

I think the speakers are the easy bit, i can make up some spacers with mdf and push them out a little so as to permit the windows opening fully, i just don't want to start spending money on a new head unit and then not have all the parts i need when i take it apart - i only use sat nav when i get stuck in traffic and try to nip around it using side streets, but I'd like to keep it working if i change out the head unit. Asking in Halfords just ends up with blank looks.....

May be worth starting with the speakers, some us owners have said it's made a vast improvment, and they'd stuck with the stock head unit afterwards, is yours the one with the sat nav on top of the dash or lower down in the centre console ?

I only went to Halfords as just having my first child I was on a budget for a change, managed to get a pair of fronts that didn't require spacing and don't foul the window mechanism, the rears shouldn't be a problem as the sit lower down

Ah ok, I'll get the tape measure out and check the fronts, yes you're right the rears don't go all the way down so should be fine with those ☺ the sat nav is indeed the built in one in the plastic pod thingy on the top of the dash, above the Stereo unit. I've been searching for iso leads relating to this model Forester, i think the grom device that has Bluetooth and usb uses the same port as the sat nav plugs into which may cause a problem! Its listed as compatible with my year model but again getting info on it is difficult....short of dropping £100 on it and trying it out i guess?

Somone told me pioneer make the subaru sat nav units have you had the headunit out ? May say something on the back or an expansion to add Bluetooth.

I do you have the tweeters in the top of the door ?

I replaced the coax with 3 ways left me lacking in bass though. Complimented the whole thing with a small active underseat sub. It's not too big and rounds off the system nicely.

I do have tweeters in the doors, next to the mirrors infact in a little plastic moulding - my plan was to swap like for like, just better quality materials etc so the sound is better! Haven't had anything out yet to check the makes and models, I'm waiting for a day off work with enough free time to give me an hour to look at it ☺

• 10 months later...