Front cv joint question, please help

I have a 97 sport, it has developed a nasty clicking noise from the front drivers wheel when turning. The tighter I turn the louder the noise, when driven on the straight it's quiet so my best guess is the cv is well on its way out. The boot isn't split that I can see but to be honest I haven't been under the car yet so I'm not 100%.

Anyways, my question is are the front drive shafts on a turbo the same as on a non turbo?? Would the turbo ones fit on mine? Or would I get away with replacing the boot and regreasing if my boot is split? In all honesty I've always thought if the cv is clicking it's knackered and should be replaced, is that right?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that mate :( Nothing worse then problem's with your pride and joy. Get some pictures up though when she's back up and running. And on a brightside.... Least there will be no more clicking :D

To be honest the first quote I got was £850 for 2 front drive shafts and a clutch and fit them all! I thought that's a bit pricey for a '97 car with 150k on the clock, especially when I've only had the car 3 weeks :( but then I actually love driving this car so I thought there is always more than one way to skin a cat!!

After a mooch online I found a new clutch for £108, ordered it. Then a quick flick around the Bay of E and got a pair of shafts with ABS rings £40, ordered them too. Fitting the shafts I figure couldn't be rocket science but doing the clutch apparently is a nightmare so a quick call to a mate who works at a local garage and he said "fetch it down to us" Best price they could do was £280 which included fitting the shafts, clutch, oil and filter, new plugs, new diff oils. Happy days!!!

As I said I've only had the car 3 weeks so I've yet to make it look half decent, but here are some pics of how it stands as it is

surfw.jpg

surf2i.jpg

I hate the colour of the wheels and brakes and the fact the bonnet scoop is also blue, so the plan is gloss black bonnet, flat black wheels and brakes, all blue vinyls will go, black grill(it's carbon wrapped in the pic), fly eye all lights, and fit a front splitter.

I have new mats(it didn't have any when I got it) and seat covers as the seats just look proper grubby. Then when I have it looking better I will start on the handling side. Engine-wise, being a non turbo, it'll be treated to a new exhaust and I have already fitted a new induction kit.surf3m.jpg

I am looking for a pic of the head of the bolts that hold the bonnet vents on because I want to open the vent on the induction side but when I tried to undo the first bolt it just snapped

a3d8decc0aea1ce5b456a0c.jpg

See! After that its just clean the filthy engine bay and enjoy!!

Thats a great price for all that work. I love mates rates :)

I don't mean to be rude You didn't do the wheels and scoop that colour did you ? :D

And for the 1st time I can say this, I'm not over struck with the sticker on the car either :( So fully agreed. They have to go :D

But what you have said with your plan's to do to the car, I'm looking foward to see how the progress comes on. So keep us all updated mate.

HELL NO!! Not guilty of any of the blue on the car, that's why it's all gotta go(that and it looks naff).

I went to see how they were getting on with today but by the time I finished work they'd closed so I'm calling in tomorrow and hopefully bringing it home with me!

pffffhhh for a second there :) And I'm glad to hear it on all 3 accounts

Be nice to get her back and get to work on getting that blue off. 1st time I've seen a Subaru that I thought was that shocking. But least you can get her back to her best :D

And hope to hear you have her back tomorrow mate. And you will have to make sure you get them pictures up as your getting her back to best. I have to see it now :D

I have just tried to update your picture's on here with no joy either :(