The dog ate my car key

Diz

Hiya all, it's been a while as my life turned upsidedown, but still driving and loving my Scoob. The bottom line question is how much a replacement key for a WR1 would cost, but here's a bit of background for those who like a story/rant.

BF and I both got made redundant at the same time and are now running a powder coating workshop (and we're very good, if I do say so myself!), but it's still a young business so I took a part-time job supporting people with learning disabilities in their own home to make sure we have a known amount of regular cash coming in. The folks are great but the long shifts can be draining.

Today I was working with two people who share a house, one of whom who has recently obtained a young dog (pic from 4 months ago) with no discipline whatsoever as some of the other staff spoil him. Noting that I am an animal lover with a dog and four cats myself, all mannerly and obedient - yes, the cats too, one of them even does 'Sit - Paw' I could have cheerfully booted this disobedient bundle of cuteness into orbit even before he took my car key out of the pocket of my jacket (seriously) that was hanging on the back of a chair and chewed off a good chunk of the rubber. I know better than to leave things lying even on a dinner table when this wretch is afoot, but didn't expect this. Needless to say I'm really hacked off, the dog might as well have put a brick through my car window. If only he'd chosen my lighter instead...

Can anyone let me know roughly how much it would cost to get the key replaced please? I plan to claim it from their house insurance - as if I need one more headache to deal with. Before anyone remarks on how mean that is, just to put it into perspective I am working part-time for crap wages that we barely scrape by on whilst between them they have amassed over £50k in savings on higher rate DLA and could afford a pedigree dog costing £900 without batting an eyelid, so any rise in insurance premium isn't going to break the bank.

Yours lividly,

Diz xx

ps I am presently diving head first into a richly deserved barrel of wine after a 24-hour 'sleep'over shift whilst suffering sleep deprivation... please excuse if I've gone OTT.

post-1363-0-39678800-1431191322_thumb.jp

post-1363-0-64586400-1431191366_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just noticed it looks like there's a bit of rubber missing. Hope that comes out sideways later, you little rascal. Fwiw I did bring this dog chewable toys at my own expense, which makes this all the more insulting. And sorry for the swear words, they were relatively mild on the grand scale of things ;-)

• Like 1

Hey Diz been a while. Sorry to hear the news. But least things might be on the up again. [emoji106]

Can get key's from breaker's cheap sometimes I'll have a look shortly is iy just the rubber part the dog's chewed ?

And I have to say that dog is super cute. I'm starting to dislike my own dog now lol [emoji1]

• Like 1

Gambit, do you ever sleep man?

Have this dog for a day and you'll love your own dog more than ever. Cute as he is he makes me appreciate more our rescue collie, who must be the thickest collie ever born but polite and gentle with just the right amount of cheekiness. She moshes in great with the cats and even acts like a cat, laziest besom I ever met!

Its the rubber bit around the plastic but the little sod made a good dent in that too. I know he's young and I have calmed down a bit, but do not look forward to having to keep an eye on everything next time I'm on shift. I used to look forward to spending time with these folks, but the dog makes it very difficult to focus on supporting them as it is another random factor in the house, and it is easy to become distracted.

On the wages I'm getting I agreed to support people, not miniature Godzillas. Don't see why I should Shell out for any of it. Funny how a rubbish hourly rate has focused me on how many hours I have to work to repair the damage done as a result of working!

Hope you're well, I've missed you guys xxx

Missed you too  :wub:  xxx

feeling the scoob love again :D 

Few Keys on eBay replacement ones might be able to get the rubber section mine came away years ago and I never replaced it :( I'll have a scoot about the breakers too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.XsUBARU+KEY.TRS0&_nkw=sUBARU+KEY&_sacat=0

Looks like the Aussies do a silicone one version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=sUBARU+KEY&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XsUBARU+silcone+key+base.TRS0&_nkw=sUBARU+silcone+key+base&_sacat=0

And to be fair I'm surprised they're allowed a dog if they have to have people come round, and fully agree shouldn't have to be paying for the item really, think should have a word with the local take away see what they retail at ;)  And as for sleep thats for the weak, and I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead :lol:

Cheers guys :-)  As far as I'm concerned I want an idea of the price for an 'As new' replacement. The key was 'as new' so why should I have to knock my pan in hunting around scrapppies. Not that I mind doing that, in fact I enjoy it, but it's the principle of it all.

I'll ask the guy I use for ya if he says it's mint condition I promise it will be. But I do like the silicone type. Which is strange when latex and rubber with a bit of leather does it for me. [emoji1]

• Like 1