JUST GOT A LEGACY BOXER D A FEW ISSUES.

qutuz

Hello forum am new here and look forward to the subaru experience.

i have just purchased a 2008 Subaru legacy 2.0d saloon 93k miles, quiet happy with it apart from a few issues, if anyone could help would be much appreciated.

1.a little rough when idle and jumpy/Jerky when pulling off or when in second gear at low speed. runs and drives ok apart from that

2. clutch peddle hard and sometimes wants pushing into gear a little harder especially first. dmf not noisy.

3. black smoke on acceleration.

also wondering if a solid mass fly wheel clutch kit is available for this model?

thank you all.

post-4534-0-56192100-1433786322_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to the club.

Nice looking scoob mate :)

I kno its a disel, but wht brand diesel are you running it on? Id suggest normal Shell diesel n see how it goes mate.

As for the clutch i converted my petrol legacy from a dmf to an smf. But tht was using othrr subaru parts from other models, so im bnot sure if that would be available for a diesel legacy.

hello mate

i just use any diesel garage i stop by :-) bp, tesco, Shell, im going t drop a bottle of fort in the tank and see if that makes a difference.

do you think the rough idle and hard clutchpedal are connected? thanks

Hi. My mechanical knowledge is pretty limited, so hopefully some of the more knowledgeable users will reply.

But personally id stick to using normal Shell diesel and see if that makes a difference with the engine running. Im on my phone atm, so camt post a detailed reply but the cheaper supermarket fuels are refined differently.

Im not sure about the clutch mate, but prior to my clutch being replaced mine was pretty juddery. Has the clutch been replaced?

Hello forum am new here and look forward to the subaru experience.

i have just purchased a 2008 Subaru legacy 2.0d saloon 93k miles, quiet happy with it apart from a few issues, if anyone could help would be much appreciated.

1.a little rough when idle and jumpy/Jerky when pulling off or when in second gear at low speed. runs and drives ok apart from that

2. clutch peddle hard and sometimes wants pushing into gear a little harder especially first. dmf not noisy.

3. black smoke on acceleration.

also wondering if a solid mass fly wheel clutch kit is available for this model?

thank you all.

1. idle can be a little rough on these they go through injector learn at idle on a hot engine.  ie pull up on your drive and leave to idle for a minute or so every now and again.  make sure it has the most up to pak file on it + forced injector and fuel pump learn clean out the sensors in the intake manifold these get gummed up.  make sure air and fuel filter are in good condition,

2 clutch should be smooth on them.  could try a few gear box oil changes think its 75-90 used in there off the top of my head.

3 this could all be tied in to number 1, make sure you use a diesel with a low bio fuel percentage, normally Shell or bp are good

Alex

On the black smoke issue sound it could be dragging in air, and over fuelling to compensate common faults inter cooler pipes ,or clips, splits in inter cooler etc, on the clutch issue fingers on pressure plate go week and require more push to get clearance , your doing right run a good fuel system cleaner through, maybe have a Terraclean , failing that injectors out to check spray pattern ,to quote everyone else use a quality diesel not supermarket, or use a good additive , best of luck with it, enjoy it, and welcome to the club

• 2 weeks later...

hi and thanks for the feedback, to update:

just had a new sachs clutch kit+dmf fitted, this has cured the hard clutch and stiff gears. perfect now :)

also full service with all filters and 5w30c oil

i have put a bottle of forte in the system which is about half way through.

still jumpy at low speed, for example when in 2nd gear at low speed 10-15mph jerks as though it wants to cut out, still a bit smokey on hard acceleration and still a little rough on idle but not as bad as before.

any thoughts? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

1. idle can be a little rough on these they go through injector learn at
idle on a hot engine.  ie pull up on your drive and leave to idle for a
minute or so every now and again.  make sure it has the most up to pak
file on it + forced injector and fuel pump learn clean out the sensors
in the intake manifold these get gummed up