Simple stage 1 for my2004 forester 2.5XT

Hi does anyone know where to get a decent stage 1 rom/map for a 2004 forester 2.5XT? I don't want to go crazy, and I'm not doing any hardware upgrades; I just want a teeny bit more low end power.

Try dunc @ racedynamix he'll come to you, not sure about who's down your way, you may need to uprate the fuel pump as a precaution buy apart from that you should see better mpg torque and power

It's a bit hit and miss as they don't really take to generic maps, as the air fuel ratio can be all over the place, there is open source software around it's called carberry it's around 200 quid cheaper than ecutek as you don't have to pay for a licence.

There's a load of info on forester.org about cobb access port tuning which is widely available in the states and there's a few people here with it

At this stage I wasn't going to remove any of the cats. Just wanted to make the car a little more responsive. For the time being, my Volvo 850R is tuned to go like a bat-out-of hell; the Forester is the family car. Eventually, the Forester will become the second car and then I'll do a lot more modding to it.

So for now, I'm just looking at doing a Stage 0 in the next few days and get the thing running as good as possible (doesn't run bad anyway tbh); and then gety  a Stage 1 tune just to freshen her up a bit.

Sounds plenty. The Volvo's sitting at just over 300 with loads of torque. 250 should be enough for now. I'll give him a shout.

Think dunc got a completely stock xt from 210 to pretty much 250 with no problems, nice fat torque curve and better delivery.

The standard clutch is good for 300 ish too

He did mine back in feb no idea what it originally had but hp is around 225 and torque is up to 250ftlbs and wound the boost up to 1.2bar eally early spool loads more real world power delivery

Did he map it to VPower or just normal 91 RON stuffs?

WOUld be interested to hear how much more fuel you're getting through with the early spool up. I put a Walbro pump in the other car as it's now running bigger injectors. Made a massive difference, but kills fuel when you get enthusiastic with the driving lol.

He did mine back in feb no idea what it originally had but hp is around 225 and torque is up to 250ftlbs and wound the boost up to 1.2bar eally early spool loads more real world power delivery

Lol yeah if i'm pushing on it will go through half a tank in no time, I went for a rcm pump as the walbros have had some issues recently build quality has gone down by all accounts.

Mines a jap import which was supposed to have 240 bhp from the factory, however it may have been inflated a bit in the media, anyway,

i always always ran on vpower but used to get around 100 miles to 25l so around 20mpg urban and maybe 28 motorway. And between 330-350 miles out of a tank, which considering it's tiny I'm happy with.

I have twin maps vpower and an emergency crap fuel map (which I'm yet to try)

Since the map I get around 150 miles from the same and between 30-37mpg depending, so man maths and speaking to the misses it has just about paid for it's self [emoji51]

It used to come on boost around 2.8k and pull to around 6k with full boost around 4.5k by which time you were well over the Nat limit,

Now it starts just over 2k and full by 3.5k which is plenty, it does start to run out of puff after 5k but if I wanted more I'd have stuck a td05 or vf34 on.

Basically I wanted a quick responsive road car which is what he did,

I was a bit disappointed not being able to hit the 270's in hp as most classic owners manage but I've since found out that the heads & cam profile is different so less hp but more torque based for the foz .

Hahah, good old man Maths. Yeah I used some clever man maths to sell in the 2.5XT over a smaller engine in the first place :D.

Selling in the tune is going to be PURELY based on fuel savings lol.

Lol yeah if i'm pushing on it will go through half a tank in no time, I went for a rcm pump as the walbros have had some issues recently build quality has gone down by all accounts.

Mines a jap import which was supposed to have 240 bhp from the factory, however it may have been inflated a bit in the media, anyway,

i always always ran on vpower but used to get around 100 miles to 25l so around 20mpg urban and maybe 28 motorway. And between 330-350 miles out of a tank, which considering it's tiny I'm happy with.

I have twin maps vpower and an emergency crap fuel map (which I'm yet to try)

Since the map I get around 150 miles from the same and between 30-37mpg depending, so man maths and speaking to the misses it has just about paid for it's self [emoji51]

It used to come on boost around 2.8k and pull to around 6k with full boost around 4.5k by which time you were well over the Nat limit,

Now it starts just over 2k and full by 3.5k which is plenty, it does start to run out of puff after 5k but if I wanted more I'd have stuck a td05 or vf34 on.

Basically I wanted a quick responsive road car which is what he did,

I was a bit disappointed not being able to hit the 270's in hp as most classic owners manage but I've since found out that the heads & cam profile is different so less hp but more torque based for the foz .

So; looks like doing the full exhaust and cats and deleting the uppipe cat too are the way to go.

Looking at Andy Forrest's recommendation he recommends a stage one of:

Full Decat or Sportscat exhaust from turbo back 2.5 or 3” bore 

Ecutek Custom ECU recalibration (similar to PPP) 
Twin boost set up for high/low power switchable in-car
Walbro 255 l/hr uprated fuel pump       
K+N panel filter

Only thing I don;t like there is the K&N. Are they oil based for the Subarus? I killed my MAF last time I used an oil based Pippercross

Cheers. Out of interest, what turbo Back system are you running - or did you have it custom made?

I think AEM fuel pumps are meant to be pretty good.

Good doings there mate ☺ I've a cosworth dry filter in at the mo, it's a service item so needs changing once a year but 30 quid is a lot different to 300+ for a maf.

I went for a sports cat as couldn't be bothered changing it come mot time . As for the pump i'd Google some reviews of the recent walbros, there's a couple of other ones available around the same price

I had it made @cobra sport in Sheffield, there was a lot of debate on weather impreza ones would fit etc, and I couldn't be bothered buying one to have it modified. So I'm 3" all the way through with sports cat and twin resonated centre cost a bit more but I don't have to swap at m.o.t time and it's not overly loud until your giving it the beans