power steering trouble

nunny71

hey all

I'm having problems with my power steering. on start up up it runs ok for a while then stops working, also seems to work better at high revs. is this due to the pump itself needs replacing ot can a pressure leak do this to. I also notice the power steering oil cooler wasn't on the car when u bought it, but have just ordered on off eBay. could this also be the cause ?

any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hello local member :D don't live too far from you :) Have you checked the fluid's at all or any signs of leaking. I've also heard of similar issues with people draining it out and putting fresh fluid in and it solving the issue so might not be worse case yet :)

• Like 1

It works on pressure so if it doesn't work at low rpms it could just be low on fluid so don't go selling body parts to buy pumps that may not have broken :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

hi thanks for quick reply, yeah i checked the fluid and none seems to of been lost. i wasnt sure if air in the system could affect it either like a brake system. ive also checked the steering rack for leaks, and nothing

Brake,clutch,pas fluid is often overlooked I just changed my gearbox fluid and it's made a difference so may be worth flushing it and putting fresh fluid in. Pas pumps usually whine when the bearing has gone in it

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For the time it take sand money saved even if you use a turkey baster to suck it out it's worth trying if it still does It signs for me would point to the pump :( 

And you should pop to the local meet mate only in North Thoresby :) 

• Like 1

Might be a stupid point, but does it squeak at all? Could be as simple as the aux belt isn't tight enough and is slipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thinking had that feels like it sort of jumps if that makes sense. 

no squeeking from belt.

im not a total novice on scoobys as ive had 2 before this one ,  ive done head gaskets ect. but find it better to ask first incase I get took to Sainsbury's in the proses and start repairing every thing else.

will let you know how I get on,

and yeah will have to pop to a meet some time, just a little busy at the min with being a tattooist and it being summer holidays lol

• Like 1

No problem and always worth asking :) I find like above people will often say something I've not thought about :) Ohh tats I still want to add to one of mine  ;)

But more than welcome to the meets normally tuesday 6 till 9

cheers guys , it turned out to be the pump itself, changed it yesterday. nice easy job but !Removed! messy. works s like a charm .

n cheers gambit will pop to meet one night for sure :)