Sat nav problem

IanMeth

Our Legacy (first reg August 2010) has a sat nav failure. Displays a map briefly before a message says the disc is not a Map DVD. Dealer (Adams, Aylesbury) not able to fix. Screen is now blank apart frpm 'no DVD' message - no radio channel display even.

Has anyone had this problem and/or a suggestion on fixing it, please?

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I have removed the map dvd and reinserted it; changed the UK map dvd to the continental disc and back again; restarted the system from defuault. Even the dealer can't fix it.

Does anyone know a company near Aylesbury that could look at the problem? My guess is either a software fault or a wire loose. Helppppppppppp!

Don't trust main dealers at best I find them woefully lacking in diagnosis.  I have many experiences of my own and friends that means I will only go to them in a last resort.  All they do is plug in a computer if the computer doesn't spell it out for them they just scratch their heads and say cant fix it then charge you for the privilege.  NOTE I have little experience of Subaru dealers so they may be better, but I doubt it. 

Did they try a new DVD?  in case yours has an error? then a new DVD would be the solution.  Or maybe the DVD reader is faulty/dirty heads, if the continental ones arent working either, in which case I would speak to a scrappy.

Other than that I dont know much about these systems so wouldnt be able to help.

• 3 months later...

Ian

Did you get this fixed?

My 2010 Outback has just developed something similar. After 15-30 minutes of driving the Map screen goes blank save for a message asking to insert a map DVD or that the DVD is not a map disc.

I've tried:

Ejecting and reinserting the disc

Inserting one of the other discs

Pressing the tiny reset button

My dealer suggested trying to identify what make of system it is - Kenwood / Pioneer etc. and doing some internet research, but I can't see how to find out what unit it is.

Anyone help?

Ewan

• 1 month later...

I have a Kenwood SatNav in my 2011 Forester Xsn.  A recent service and repair at my local Subaru Dealer required Battery disconnection .  After completing the repair and reconnecting the Battery, the SatNav screen went black with a message saying,” Please replace the Map DVD”.  However, the map DVD was already in the slot and system could not read it.  They struggled for an hour to release the DVD, but eventually gave up.  They told me that they suspected the unit was faulty and would have to be sent away.

I took the car home and did a bit of research on the internet.  I discovered that even though the screen is black, the tilt mechanism will still work and expose the DVD slot.  If you then press on the top right hand corner of the screen, the DVD pops out.  Next, you reload it and the system boots up normally. I suppose the lesson is to remove the DVD before you disconnect the Battery.

One other point,  I had a non Subaru map DVD in the slot (the Subaru updates are way too expensive).  When the system rebooted, I lost the safety grid on the reversing camera.  I suspected that this bit of software was missing from the new map DVD, so I rebooted again with the original Subaru map DVD and, hey presto got the grid back.

I hope that this information may be helpful to others with the Kenwood Satellite Navigation System.

DSC_0039.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...