Bugeye Sportwagon WRX Project

Straitline79

Hey All,

Wanted to start a thread about the work i am doing on my Impreza Sportwagon WRX :)  (Bugeye). I bought it as a small project as the front sub frame has rusted and failed its MOT.  There is a fair amount of rust so my intention is to get it cleaned up, replace frame and treat with some form of protection

and overall just get it back to where it should be.

I have already removed the sub-frame and only broke 1 bolt which was a surprise.  So far I have seen a couple of things needed of which I can't find online.  I need brake dust shields for front and back as they are rotten through.  I also want to replace all the bolts of the subframe...again having issues finding these. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Now I am stewing about the colour of the powder coat I want for the wheels. The car is a metallic dark blue (but looks black).  Initially I was leaning towards a gun metal grey but keen to hear any suggestions or see photos to help. 

post-5316-0-70434700-1447968854_thumb.jp

Cheers

So that importcarparts.co.uk dont do the bolts for the subframe but do the brake dust shield...which i might are a little pricey.  £190 for front and rear!

On the plus side i found a local company that is like a pink n mix for bolts and will be a fraction of the price than buying online :D

Yeah i just contacted a breaker to see if they have the dust shields in decent condition.  The ones i have can practically be taken off by hand as they are rotten.  If the breaker falls through i will give that other site a go.

Do you know what tensile strength or type they need to be?  I know they have nickel plated steel and also a harder one which i can't remember the name of.

Cheers

I think a normal m8 bolt will fit just check the length of one of the others i was missing one after having some work done and mot man pointed it out and I, m sure that's what I fitted it with ,nice to see another bug eye wagon ...as for colour of wheels in think a dark graphite grey look nice i,m thinking of spraying mine that colour and putting some pearl in the clearcoat to pop when the sun shines.I think import car parts as already mentioned do a new front sub frame for £180 that's what I will get if rust gets to be an issue cheers Phil. ..

I think a normal m8 bolt will fit just check the length of one of the others i was missing one after having some work done and mot man pointed it out and I, m sure that's what I fitted it with ,nice to see another bug eye wagon ...as for colour of wheels in think a dark graphite grey look nice i,m thinking of spraying mine that colour and putting some pearl in the clearcoat to pop when the sun shines.I think import car parts as already mentioned do a new front sub frame for £180 that's what I will get if rust gets to be an issue cheers Phil. ..

Hi Phil,

Yeah i was looking at a gun metal grey or similar so will go look at some wheels in that colour.  I like the idea of a pearl clear coat...not heard of that before  :D.  I got a practically new subframe for 180 so will pick up new bolts on Monday and get it fitted on wednesday when i am next off.  Todays job is removing the calipers and which I think I will get powder coated a royal blue...and and continue de-rusting the underneath  :(

Cheers

Franco