Low oil pressure at idle?

martyc

Hi again :-)

Just had my oil and filter changed, when sat at idle in traffic for long periods of time today I've noticed my OP gauge to drop to as low as 16/18psi. The garage tell me that they used 5-30 fully synth (not sure what it had at the last service as it was done when I bought it). To be honest this is only literally a couple of psi lower than what i have seen before (18/19psi), but the thought of a dead engine fills me with dread!

When driving oil pressure is approx 60psi at 2k revs so seems ok....

What's the general consensus?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

What does it idle at? Obviously weather plays a part too mine idles at 700 rpm and I see anything from 1.7 to 2.3 bar, depending on how long the engine has been at operating temp,

I wouldn't worry too much, keep an eye out for the next couple of days see what the average is, could just be down to a different oil

I've read previously that anything above 1 bar is within spec- I think it may just be thin oil however there's a lot of people like you guys who are seeing 2 bar which unless I'm wrong- is about 28 psi?

Cool :) I'm new age with 5-30 fully synth (not sure what brand as garage supplied)and probably similar spec to you (2nd decat and cat back, k&n panel, prodrive y pipe). Guess I'll just keep an eye check levels and see how she does..... Already eyeing up a td04-19t and bigger injectors to crack the 300 mark!

I have Millers 10w-60 in mine. Thats what previous owner put just before I bought it. Have full decat and panel filter (unsure what make). Got hawk blue injectors and vf35 ready to fit. Just need to organise it properly :) Good luck with yours :)