squeeling noises?

und3rpantgnom3

hi all im not sure if this is the right sort of topic to go in general chat but being a newbie im not sure!

Driving along the motorway recently i heard a squeeling noise coming from the front of the car, as soon as i turned right it squeeled (like a brake disc noise) but when the wheels are centered it stoppped. Its slowly driving me crazy has anybody had this problem before.

I drive a 1998 impreza estate (non-turbo)

many thanks

Would be my 1st guess Power steering belt, like Davsurfa has said.

If you can't find what you need on google mate PM me or reply on here I will upload a picture with what you need to do, very easy fix. (He say's)

I did mine the other day funny enough, and with out thinking started to tighten up the wrong one and snapped my AC belt tensioner :D

But it is easy to fix.

Just remeber to slacken off the bolts around it 1st think there is 3 bolt's (mind's going must be old age :D) other wise you wont budge it, once you have it tight enough not to tight mind tighten it all up again. should be able to have a small amount of movement in it I would say about nearly 90 degrees turn on the belt with your thumb and finger. Will upload a picture later if you have not sorted it out yet ;)

alright guys just thought id update you on the belt noise, tightened it up and took it out for a test drive and annoyingly after 10 mins down the road that squeel came back!! arrrrgh!! so i got a friend of mine to have a look.

We changed the discs and pads even though there was still some life left in them both and it was while doing that that the problem was solved, the pads on the driver side fell to bits when took them out the caliper! literally! I was feeling better that the noise had gone but now got other problems with the "engine check" light on the dashboard. not a happy bunny!