HJ03 FBA | Do not buy | Subaru Impreza STi

JackSubie

Hi guys,

Still in the hunt for an STi and I thought I had found a good one today. However, that was not the case. I'll let the ad speak for itself initially.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-Subaru-Impreza-2-0-WRX-STI-Type-UK-/131752101166?hash=item1ead09852e:g:qccAAOSwyjBW5rEK

So, with FSH, and checking online it having MOT until end of OCT I was reasonably pleased. Price was a little cheeky (dependent on condition), but it would be the right price if it checked out. Now on paper it looked okay from the ad. 

However, got down there and met the bloke, who seemed okay at first but that quickly turned. 

First and foremost, he told me (BEFORE I got down there) that the car had just had £1000 worth of Bridgestone Potenzas put on the car, as I mentioned over the phone the previous MOT stated 'tyres cracking' as an advisory, so if he's changed the tyres, great, if not, no dramas I will just put my Mike Brewer hat on.
Turned up to mateys place. Looked nice and shiny, got my attention, loved it as soon as I saw it. Checked the history/receipts and saw that the car has been looked after with full Subaru history with the cambelt being changed at 50k, but at this point, I couldn't see any tyre receipts. 
Went to look at the car and straight away I noticed cracking on the outer edge of all FOUR tyres. Hmm, I said, I thought you replaced these tyres? They look cracked to me. 
He said, "Yes, they were done shortly after the MOT, they come like that". 
Me - But what about the date stamp on the tyres, they're 6 years old? 
He says - "I'm guessing they've been sat in the warehouse for a little while"

Right, so he's told me he's replaced the tyres, but clearly hasn't as they're still cracked, and have a yearly stamp of 2010!!!!! Straight away he's lied to my face. 

Moving on - the front discs have a big lip and will need doing later this year. Nevermind, again, it can be negotiated in price.

Got on to the clutch. As far as I'm aware the clutch tends to go on these between 70-85k. I asked, any receipts on the clutch at all? Nope, he said, clutch is in good condition. Right, I thought, as I headed to test drive the car.

Got in the car - Oh my god the bite point was so high it was ridiculous. The amount of times I couldn't find it was embarrassing! Can anyone comment on what a decent clutch feels like bitepoint wise? Are they at the top? The clutch didn't slip mind.. But it was definitely VERY high..Too high.

Other than that I loved it. Sounded great, boosted nicely and cornered well (although did a maximum of 35 round corners). Maybe someone's worried about their tyres.

Right, got onto prices. I sat down, said look.. I've got money with me today I can take it today, job done, but how closely can you get to 7k. Now, I know that's taking the ****. But he is as well, so why not, see what he says. He says.. "you're going to offer me 7 grand... I'm not taking a penny less than 8500".. I said so let me get this straight.. The front discs need replacing, the clutch needs doing soon, and the tyres, being 6 years old, will definitely need doing.. That's over a grands worth of stuff to sort out.. I'll give you 7750 absolute least. Still no. Proceeds to tell me the clutch doesn't need doing and the tyres have been replaced. 

I sat there and thought whilst he waffled on and thought, ok, 8 grand final offer. STILL no.. I then proceeded to shake his hand and thank him for his wonderful time. 

This guy was so "impersonal" with me it made me feel like he just wanted me gone and didn't care about me at all. Now, usually, if they're too personal it's annoying, however he didn't want to speak to me at all! Now I get it, I'm young and I'm trying to negotiate with someone with years of experience of deals, and he's clearly judged me for a fool and noticed I've pointed out the bad bits, but won't admit it. But I wasn't prepared to spend (lets say I bought it for 8500) around 10k in total for a car with 80k miles, when I can buy a !Removed! PPP STi widetrack for 9500 with 60k miles! 

Overall, he was an absolute joke who will not sell a car treating his customers' like that. If he does, they're morons.

Just wanted to make it public in case anyone wants to view it. Basically, don't. Unless he accepts 7500.

IT has not had the tyres done. They are 5 years old.
The clutch IS going and is pretty much gone.
The front discs WILL needs replacing.

Unless he sold it to me for less than 8 I wasn't going to take it.

Thanks for reading and I hope no one gives this guy a penny.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 1

Nightmare. Try Quay Cars near Newport. That's where I bought my WRX. He prepares the car really well, knows what he's talking about and paid attention to me without being pushey. They have a website but I'm not sure of the address.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

well if he had told me he had put new tyres on and i got their and they was old,i wouldnt have even bothered looking at it,if he allready telling you porkies about that then their could be a million hidden things wrong with it that he not going to be honest about,i would say even paying 7 grand would be foolish if he was that bad,their is too many subarus out their to choose from,so no point buying one that could have hidden problems and big bills in a few months.

• Like 3

Wow, I sold my 03 mica black wrx sti 4 years ago for £6700 can't believe how they've held the money

basic spec was

standard uk car not pro drive 

full mot

had 50k service (cam belt ect) was due 60k though (fssh)

4 good condition toyo's 2 brand new! 

It did need disk and pads right round apart from that was spot on!

was up for £7200 took £6700 with the brakes and service needing doing!

aparently went to Iceland so the guy was saying the service would be done over there with it being colder!

CK53ZDO was the reg got loads of pic's on the laptop.

canot believe that price and no negotiation on price madness!

Keep looking fella

Sounds like a nice spec! That would be worth anywhere between 7500 and 8500 now for sure.

I know. He claimed it was the cleanest car on the market.. Except the tyres were 5 years old and the clutch needs doing. Fair enough if he only wanted say 7500 at least, but 8500?! I would have to spend 10 grand! That gets me a much better car!

I think it's a obligatory you post some pics :D

• Like 1

On 3/21/2016 at 2:42 PM, JackSubie said:

Hi guys,

Still in the hunt for an STi and I thought I had found a good one today. However, that was not the case. I'll let the ad speak for itself initially.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-Subaru-Impreza-2-0-WRX-STI-Type-UK-/131752101166?hash=item1ead09852e:g:qccAAOSwyjBW5rEK

So, with FSH, and checking online it having MOT until end of OCT I was reasonably pleased. Price was a little cheeky (dependent on condition), but it would be the right price if it checked out. Now on paper it looked okay from the ad. 

However, got down there and met the bloke, who seemed okay at first but that quickly turned. 

First and foremost, he told me (BEFORE I got down there) that the car had just had £1000 worth of Bridgestone Potenzas put on the car, as I mentioned over the phone the previous MOT stated 'tyres cracking' as an advisory, so if he's changed the tyres, great, if not, no dramas I will just put my Mike Brewer hat on.
Turned up to mateys place. Looked nice and shiny, got my attention, loved it as soon as I saw it. Checked the history/receipts and saw that the car has been looked after with full Subaru history with the cambelt being changed at 50k, but at this point, I couldn't see any tyre receipts. 
Went to look at the car and straight away I noticed cracking on the outer edge of all FOUR tyres. Hmm, I said, I thought you replaced these tyres? They look cracked to me. 
He said, "Yes, they were done shortly after the MOT, they come like that". 
Me - But what about the date stamp on the tyres, they're 6 years old? 
He says - "I'm guessing they've been sat in the warehouse for a little while"

Right, so he's told me he's replaced the tyres, but clearly hasn't as they're still cracked, and have a yearly stamp of 2010!!!!! Straight away he's lied to my face. 

Moving on - the front discs have a big lip and will need doing later this year. Nevermind, again, it can be negotiated in price.

Got on to the clutch. As far as I'm aware the clutch tends to go on these between 70-85k. I asked, any receipts on the clutch at all? Nope, he said, clutch is in good condition. Right, I thought, as I headed to test drive the car.

Got in the car - Oh my god the bite point was so high it was ridiculous. The amount of times I couldn't find it was embarrassing! Can anyone comment on what a decent clutch feels like bitepoint wise? Are they at the top? The clutch didn't slip mind.. But it was definitely VERY high..Too high.

Other than that I loved it. Sounded great, boosted nicely and cornered well (although did a maximum of 35 round corners). Maybe someone's worried about their tyres.

Right, got onto prices. I sat down, said look.. I've got money with me today I can take it today, job done, but how closely can you get to 7k. Now, I know that's taking the ****. But he is as well, so why not, see what he says. He says.. "you're going to offer me 7 grand... I'm not taking a penny less than 8500".. I said so let me get this straight.. The front discs need replacing, the clutch needs doing soon, and the tyres, being 6 years old, will definitely need doing.. That's over a grands worth of stuff to sort out.. I'll give you 7750 absolute least. Still no. Proceeds to tell me the clutch doesn't need doing and the tyres have been replaced. 

I sat there and thought whilst he waffled on and thought, ok, 8 grand final offer. STILL no.. I then proceeded to shake his hand and thank him for his wonderful time. 

This guy was so "impersonal" with me it made me feel like he just wanted me gone and didn't care about me at all. Now, usually, if they're too personal it's annoying, however he didn't want to speak to me at all! Now I get it, I'm young and I'm trying to negotiate with someone with years of experience of deals, and he's clearly judged me for a fool and noticed I've pointed out the bad bits, but won't admit it. But I wasn't prepared to spend (lets say I bought it for 8500) around 10k in total for a car with 80k miles, when I can buy a !Removed! PPP STi widetrack for 9500 with 60k miles! 

Overall, he was an absolute joke who will not sell a car treating his customers' like that. If he does, they're morons.

Just wanted to make it public in case anyone wants to view it. Basically, don't. Unless he accepts 7500.

IT has not had the tyres done. They are 5 years old.
The clutch IS going and is pretty much gone.
The front discs WILL needs replacing.

Unless he sold it to me for less than 8 I wasn't going to take it.

Thanks for reading and I hope no one gives this guy a penny.

Cheers

Jack

Thats so fecked up, i just been to look an a WRX STI at my local garage , looked ok, drivers door doesnt fit correctly , and then i looked at the tyres, no way they all cracked, so i go in and ask him, it been sitting long, no he said , He then try's to blag me ...cant stop laughing ... they come like that , they look cracked but they arent, oh come on please, been in trade along time , Then he gets red in face and gave the impression he wasnt interested in anything i was saying, with this felt uncomfortable and walked out, so i do a search for Bridgestone Pozenta tyres wrx with cracks in and low and behold i found this post ..SAME GARAGE lol

• Like 2

Haha! Oh dear.. Some of these people are so retarded I don't think they know what they're selling. The bad thing is, some people obviously do fall for some of the sh*t they come up with. Oh well, at least we were both able to walk away.

On a side note, I've just picked up my new scoob. 05 blobeye PPP STi widetrack. Pics soooonnn

• Like 2