Thinking of going Skoda to Subaru, advise!

SheffieldMan

Hi all, so I'm new round here, but not to car forums etc.

So, I currently drive a 2009 Octavia VRS TDI hatch which is lovely. It's quickish, practical and frugal.

However, I've had it nearly 4 years and I feel like a change. A faster petrol powered 4WD change to be precise (don't want an Audi)! So I'm looking at late gen 2 impreza saloons (I don't actually need THAT much space) and I'd be willing to spend £5-6k.

Firstly, will that get me a decent late gen 2 STI or similar?

Secondly, what are they like to live with? I used to have a 1993 legacy, so I know Subaru interiors are pants. What are they like to drive every day and to commute in? I do the odd long trip on motorways from Sheffield to Wales etc, so what's that like? I also like working on my own cars too.

Now I know they're a bit thirsty, but realistically, how thirsty if driven normally, ie most of the time?

Thanks all!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think £5-6k may get you an STI but rather average condition, or pretty decent WRX and just do a few standard mods - decat, injectors, intercooler, turbo and remap should get you to 320-350hp. I just got back from Wales yesterday, did almost 30mpg on the trip which I'm really proud of lol, on daily commuting to work (5 miles each way) I do about 22mpg average, thats on the car with quite a few mods and not driving like a grandpa :D You will definitely notice the difference going from 2009 Octavia if it comes to interior comfort lol, but it depends what do you like. I'm a fan  of spartan interior and stiff suspension so I love my Scoob.

I think £5-6k may get you an STI but rather average condition, or pretty decent WRX and just do a few standard mods - decat, injectors, intercooler, turbo and remap should get you to 320-350hp. I just got back from Wales yesterday, did almost 30mpg on the trip which I'm really proud of lol, on daily commuting to work (5 miles each way) I do about 22mpg average, thats on the car with quite a few mods and not driving like a grandpa :D You will definitely notice the difference going from 2009 Octavia if it comes to interior comfort lol, but it depends what do you like. I'm a fan  of spartan interior and stiff suspension so I love my Scoob.

Thanks man. A WRX is a 5 speed right? I'm not too fussed about super luxury, I used to drive 2 landys and a 1996 legacy! The only thing that would bother me comfort wise is noise. What are they like on long journeys? Does the exhaust note drive you mad?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes its 5 speed. Noise you can control. Mine is fully decatted with 3 inch system but I do have resonator in mid pipe. To me is just right. There is a lot of choice if it comes to exhaust, you can get it just as you like. 2.5 inch systems are quieter or you can always get a custom made.