oil in breather hose??

Jamie_uk

hi its noob time again :D , i was measuring hoses again and found oil in 1 of the breather pipes but nothing in the others. google was useless, have spent hours searching for the name of the damn box the air intake goes into and  where the breather hoses go into.  which then leads to the throttle body. 

it has a seem around the top but i have tried everythin to open it aside from a hammer.  maybe its not meant to open?

wanted to clean out whatever it is and get rid of the oil. 

also wondering if this is why my spark plugs had a brown oily film on them. 

little concerned about this wasnt somethin i was expecting to come accross

thanks

The flat 4 is notorious for putting oil into the breathers - it may well be contributing to the colour of the plugs but also scoobs are set from the factory to run rich due to expectations of operating in a range of climates, temperatures, locations and fuel qualities

Consider an air oil separator (AOS) breather kit - not too costly if you browse the evilbay for parts to make up the kit

• Like 1

Thanks for replying @Jay762, Is this an issue that needs sorting or just a normal thing? Does it do any harm? Didn't expect I would need oil separator in a NA, strange thing is it's only one hose the rest are clean is this why people use catch cans? 

Sounds like a remap could be worthwhile afterall

its the engine layout being horizontal that doesn't help things but even with an NA the engine is still turning through the same rev range. I have had oil through breather hose on every motor / bike / van I have owned (the vito is terrible for it, you have to disconnect the intercooler hose and drain regularly) - think it must be the way I drive / ride :naughty:

Yes that is what the catch tank is used for.

I personally will be mapping the car even though its an NA when I change the exhaust that way I will know everything is matched and fuelled spot on - should give a little better fuel economy as well as some improved response.

Is it possible to open the box the breather hose goes back to? Want to clean it out if I can and probably the throttle body since I changed plugs not long back I want to keep them clean and not gunk them up. 

Looking at a wrx cobra cat back just waiting for them to email me back and samco about some hoses. Then I'll remap it. Debating on custom air intake but the foam filters doing a pretty good job as it is. Saw a cool one on YouTube guy removed all the intake and fitted twin cones direct to throttle body. 

Found loads of catch cans but not a lot for oil air seperation, do you need to tap into the sump or something to send the oil back?

thanks for the help

Can one of you lovely people please tell me what this box is called and how to get the oil residue out??

cleaned the throttle body on one side gonna replace the breather hoses but also need to clean out the inside of the throttle body as its black rotten in soot and Oil

thanks

image.jpeg