Spray Paint

farmerpug

My foresters VIN plate shows the colour as 8G5, is there a name for this colour of paint so i can get a few rattle cans of this colour, im touching up and isoponing a few rusty spots and just need the original colour of paint to finish the job.

SUBARU SILVER 8G5 1998 - METALLIC

All I could find. I found a place on eBay that was good for making them came with lacquer also. other choice but try not to use them as much was Halfords. Not because it was not a good match just the silly spray cap's seem to spit the paint out and splatter.

Yup its 406 silver, i ordered myself a few tins off an eBay seller, without lacquer (i have a few tins lying about).

Halfords were useless for the subaru paint, they didnt have any paint for any sort of subaru.

Anyhow here is what ive been at to the subarus bodywork:

file_zps57bf9d3d.jpg

file_zpsfe6e72aa.jpg

file_zps24456fc6.jpg

file_zpsbb66020c.jpg

Wow a real job well done have to show us the final job. But big Kudos to you so far.

And Halfords don't sell it on the shelf you have to get them to make it :( The can you can pick up and buy have good spray cap's, when you get them made they put silly little blue thing on :(

The other day while i was in they couldnt make the paint even when i offered the registration, vin number, colour code, even a picture of the car. 

And i made the mistake of buying "metallic red" brake calliper paint while i was in there, painted the callipers today and they are fecking pink now.

Hahaha  I dub thee car.... Penelope Pit Stop ;) I would paint them again see if they go red if that fail's heat resistant engine paint that you put on with a brush what I use. Not as nice as a rattle can but does the trick :)

Strange they couldn't make it. Unless they had some retards in that day can't see silver being to hard to make :( oh well least you got it sorted.

Hahaha  I dub thee car.... Penelope Pit Stop ;) I would paint them again see if they go red if that fail's heat resistant engine paint that you put on with a brush what I use. Not as nice as a rattle can but does the trick :)

Strange they couldn't make it. Unless they had some retards in that day can't see silver being to hard to make :( oh well least you got it sorted.

The time i did the brake callipers on the 406 i used a bit of massey ferguson red paint my uncle had lying around, painted on with a brush and it still looks grand, probably will do the same here.

I think there is a better chance of getting the right paint in B&Q than there is in Halfords :) The website said they could make up custom paints, the eejit behind the till said they didnt.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the paint, sanded for ages at the door, after a few coats of primer and colour paint:

file_zps34f93afb.jpg

file_zps4577c837.jpg

file_zpsde732290.jpg

file_zps5d0fea21.jpg

Its not perfect, its my time using isopon so it will do ok, there is no more rust, or hole in the door

Well its an old car, there is worse rust along the top of the windscreen, and wait till i get pictures of the repaired sill, it looks like it was welded in but not treated so its quite badly rusted.

Its only a bit of practice really, i suppose it just takes a bit more patience and time with the isopon to get it right. 

Got all back together, no screws or plastic clips left behind so the job didnt go too badly.

Here is the door all back together:

file_zps64e44719.jpg

there is a dent, the filler didn't really hide it but i suspect it was caused by the heat of the welder, anyhow there is no hole in the door

file_zpsaab5c852.jpg

A much more agricultural apporach was taken to curing the rust along the top of the windscreen:

file_zpsb723d097.jpg

The car seems to be fairly solid underneath, i went along with a hammer to inspect the sills, a chunk of rust fell out and caused a small hole to the chassis above the rear passenger wheel:

file_zps6989b1cf.jpg

the rest of the sill are rusty looking near the back wheels but this could be cured with a bit of stone chip paint, here is the bit that was previously repaired:

file_zpse9e3a238.jpg

No outdoor pictures of the painting, went to drive the car out but the dome light has been on as a result of the door being open which drained the Battery.

Hahaha I've not done that myself but unlucky. But look forward to seeing the pictures of the paint job. And I did the same used under sill paint/stonechip not had any problems. Mind you as soon as I see the salt from the Gritters settle on the car I'm washing it off ASAP. Even if its been snowing. Roll on summer ;)