Timing Belt or full belt/pulley kit?

Cee-Jay-Cee

I recently bought an 06 Impreza 2.0RX for use over the winter. The car has a full service history and had a full service including plugs, fuel filter, gearbox and diff oil just before I bought it but I cant find any record of the timing belt being done at any stage. There is just shy of 90k miles on the car and so its more than due a belt. Is there a need to buy a full belt kit including pulleys or will changing the belt suffice? The car drives 100% and there are no issues with any of the pulleys that I'm aware of. Theres quite a difference in the cost of the kit v belt and the labour cost for doing just the belt compared to pulleys and belt. Like I said its just a winter car, it'll only be on the road if we get snow and even then I wont be doing any more than 500-1000 miles a year but do intend to keep the car for a few years.

If you want be stingy at least inspect each idler gear and the tensioner when strip it and buy what only needed, one that more likely usable is tensioner but the plain idlers and toothed normally have some play or dryness or both. Water pump wants checking too but rare these really need replacing at 90K for a NA road car .
I know many insist tensioner must be replaced but actual Subaru guidelines is testing it in spec, obviously if bearing rough or it leaking oil on hydraulic tensioner or it fail the load testing (see SFSM) then needs replacing.

With timing belts you almost better off not doing it if not going do it well as bad decisions and work = potential scrap .

Dayco belt and japan oem idlers from ICP not that expensive .

Whatever you do DO NOT use cheaper sourced parts as that worse than running with old oem .

• Like 1