I'm Back

actionman

well, i'm not the kind of person to keep a car for years but didn't think the Scooby would be going so soon! Only got it in March, none of new bits such as STi TD05 turbo etc have even been fitted & i bet i haven't even done 400 miles in it since i bought it!

Basically i'm wanting to expand my business which means i have to do a new training course, buy more equipment then eventually a bigger van! All this lot combined isn't cheap. I have savings but don't have enough to pay for everything out right which is what i want to do as i don't like getting credit if i can help it. The course will be done first then i want to cracking on getting the new equipment asap. Van wise i can manage a bit longer so that can wait.

So today i'm making some calls regarding the courses to get the ball rolling. Next available dates aren't until Dec so no immediate rush to sell the car & bits straight away. Then depending how work goes up until then i may have scraped enough together to not have to sell the car. Although my Mrs has said just sell it, do the course etc then when i've saved up enough again I can just buy a better & newer car! :D 

Craig

Hello mate well at least the hard man from eBay hasn't forced the sale ;) 

And I hope when she says bigger and better car she mean's a newer Impreza ;) 

But know how it is mate if it has to go to make life better that can only be a good thing and as you have said, once you have what you need again and got some more cash in the pocket can always get another one if you have to sell it :) 

but remember you don't have to be a stranger welcome to come say hello still no matter what you choose to do :D 

Cheers 

Pete

Hi mate! well i'd already got it in my head that I was going to get a newer Impreza, probably blobeye STi!

Unsurprisingly i never heard anything else from the eBay hard man! I did start receiving those automated text jokes shortly after at ridiculous times of night. My Galaxy S3 has a "reject number" option so soon put a stop to those! If that was the best he could do after all those threats then he really needs to get a grip!

To do the course, buy new equipment & get a bigger van I need minimum of £12k depending what van i go for. Thought about a Transporter T5 but they're just ridiculous money & an ex VW tech said to stay away from 2.5TDi unless I was buying new or almost new. They do a 1.9TDi 130 but they're like rocking horse do da to get hold of, they all seem to be 105bhp models which i'm not going for. Even remapped it'd only end up being the same power as my Doblo but in a bigger heavier van.

So now been looking at Caddy Maxi. They're 2ft longer in the back than mine which is what i need. Height & width doesn't matter as much. Transporters aren't even 1ft longer load length wise than the Caddy. Another option is mk7 Transit swb. They look pretty smart with ST alloys etc. I did a key for 1 last week & he'd even fitted ST front seats & steering wheel which looked good

Yeah there is a nice Transit van round here that look's smart for a van even has a nice stainless exhaust but doesn't sound beefy. I do like the look of them Transporter seen a few of them all done up to round here seem to have there own little group from what I seen. is the sprinter an no go then I know they was good. 

And least he was thinking about you sending you joke's nice man ;) 

Can't go wrong with a nice blobeye a lot nicer to sit in then I will be careful here ;) the older car's :D 

not that keen on Sprinters. Too big for what i need. Don't want anything bigger than a swb low roof transit. I'd also thought about Vito Compact but still unsure about those as i've been told they're not as reliable as Transit.

I did a key for a blobeye yesterday & definitely nicer to sit in than a classic. More modern etc. I've got a full timing belt kit to fit on mine. I could just give it all to the new owner & say here you go, get it fitted but i think it would be a better selling point if it's already done. Plus the guy that does the jobs i don't do such as timing belts is an ex Subaru mechanic! :D

Oh right yeah they are big vans but got some go in them when you hit the money pedal :) I would go with the transit myself followed by the Transporter if you can get the right type. 

And I agree if the belt's been done it's one less thing for the new owner to worry about and will be safe knowing he can drive it way if they have traveled to pick it up :) And if the bloke who is doing it is an ex Subaru mechanic shouldn't take him anytime at all. :D 

• 4 months later...

well 3 months later & i've just bought my Impreza back! After all the work i did to get it something like it now needs more work! Lad that bought it has warped the new discs i fitted 6 months ago & they've not even done 500 mile, the boot struts have gone but more serious there's white smoke coming from under the turbo heatshield! doesn't bellow out but what does come out stinks of fumes!

Needless to say i didn't pay much for it! Even if the turbo needs a recon i'm quids in!

• Like 1

Glad to have you back mate. I knew the addiction would kick in again before long :D 

And how the hell did he warp disc's in less than 500 miles I didn't think it was possible. :( and shame about the turbo but if your quids in even with needing to fix it it's good news all round :D Welcome home ;)  

Yeh god knows how he's managed to warp the discs. Got it back Thursday but not had hance to give it a good checking over yet as working darn sarf & not home till Sunday evening.

Thankfully I only paid £250 for it :)

Yeh. turbo will be getting removed at some point in the week. If I get time I'm gonna whip heatshield off on Monday to see if I can pin point where the smoke is coming from. Even if turbo needs a recon it's gonna be a steal. A local firm does it for £120-150 depending on which internals it has

well i removed the heat shield this aft & started it up while i stood waiting to see where the white smoke was coming from. Anyways for a couple of mins there was a little bit of smoke but nowhere near as much as before then once those first couple of minutes passed by it stopped! Had it running for easily another 10mins but still no more smoke.

I then took it for a 10mins spirited drive to get the temp up then popped the bonnet when i got home & still no smoke! So a bit baffled but a also a bit happier with my purchase :D

Nice one :D 

Did you check the gearbox oil at all when you was looking at it just wonder if it was burning some that dripped off the old dipstick and past the shield I've done that before myself gives a nice white smoke effect ;) 

no mate i hadn't checked that. When i had it running this aft it looked more like it was coming up from the under the intake pipe/manifold area! Anyways i do think i've got a bargain now so just going to keep my eye on it. Already ordered new front discs & boot struts

• Like 1