Subaru impreza 2.OR old shape

jorgen

Hi  

I've just bought a 2010 R hatchback - to be honest I didn't know there was a 160bhp version (is that the diesel?). Mine is the RX (high spec) 2.0 petrol 150bhp in pearl white metallic. One lady owner 52K - its in great condition. The RX has a decent spec and the interior is fine - don't read the reviews which suggest it is some kind of 80's plastic box - its Subaru so on the Impreza it's about utility and longevity rather than soft touch fabrics - mine is 8 years old and un-marked inside, nothing fallen off (just a little wear on drivers fabric seat). I have a Legacy R and that is a little more plush inside, aimed at the 3/5 series market but the Impreza is comfy and fine.  You can check out the spec yourself but try to get the RX as its basically the WRX spec (not the performance bits, rather the body, interior etc). Highlights include:

All wheel drive - rare on any hatchback - also has traction control tech and ABS
17 x 7J light alloys
Recaro style sports seats up front (and head rests in rear with split back seat)
Sports exhaust (rear box / pipe) and diffuser
DVD / CD / Video (RCA connection) in the dashboard with surround sound
6 speaker Hi Fi with sub woofer
Central locking with keyless entry / cat 1 security
Sat nav and cruise control (with various other controls and functions built in)
WRX (style) aero kit 

I believe it shares the basic suspension, mount points and set up of the WRX (TBC) so it should take WRX parts such as exhaust, brakes etc for simple upgrades - Jay762 is looking at that currently.  https://uk.subaruownersclub.com/profile/388-jay762/

Driving / experience, 1 month in
I've had an Impreza before in the 90's and I have a 2.0 Legacy R Estate now with the uprated engine (163bhp) so I knew what to expect. Its comfy, quiet and moves with ease in 4th and 5th. It's a little more grown up than earlier versions and the power / gearing is set for the 40+ area - on a motorway it will cruise effortless at 80 mph all day and feels agile at those speeds if you drop into 4th. However, it isn't a sprinter with this set up and AWD to carry about. Accelerate hard in the low gears and it will move but its noisy and lacks pace against a GTi hatchback - that's not what Subaru were doing with this model, and if you want that I suggest you get a WRX turbo.

Seats 5 in confort, hatchback opens wide and to floor level which is practical but the boot space is not vast with the rear seat up sacrificed a little for the coupe / hatchback style which I am fine with (I have an estate for that). With rear seats down you can get quite a bit in though as it's a mid sized car overall (Focus, Astra).

Fuel economy isn't too bad if you drive normally but you will pay more for the AWD and additional weight.

For me it's just about perfect - different from any other hatchback, looks well, lots of Subaru (rally) nods, AWD, great kit included, handling / brakes / tech above average. I am going to do some light mods to try and get the NASP engine up to 160 / 165 which I think will just give it a little more urgency. Will be Spring now as I am busy at work through Christmas. I will start a project file.

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg