Advice

In my paper work it says the car has been running on 10w 50

But on Opie Oils it's saying use 5w 40.

Will it ruin my car if I put a different oil in? Or does the oil need to be dropped and that put in altogether? All I am doing is topping up? 

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, Danny mac said:

In my paper work it says the car has been running on 10w 50

But on Opie oils it's saying use 5w 40.

Will it ruin my car if I put a different oil in? Or does the oil need to be dropped and that put in altogether? All I am doing is topping up? 

Thank you.

Our look up guide just runs off our standard recommendation for your model, 5w-40. Often people use 10w-50 for many different reasons and we often do recommend a 10w-50. What year is your Impreza? Is it modified and what kind of use does it get? Just road or track as well?

Cheers,

Guy

35 minutes ago, mfnick said:

10w50 is a lot better quality so if anything that’s better. In fact if yours is modified I wouldn’t put anything less than 50 in it.

Viscosity is not really an indication of quality, 10w-50 is just thicker across the temp range than a 5w-40. If you look at ranges such as the Millers CFS, Fuchs Pro S, Motul 300v etc where they have multiple viscosities in the same quality range the only difference really is the viscosity.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1

The castrol is a good oil but I would not run 5w-30 on 320bhp on a 2003 model. I would probably stick with the 10w-50, this is will cover everything from normal road use to hard road use and track use if you plan to do it. Have a look at the Fuchs Pro S 10w-50 and the Millers CFS 10w-50 here https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w50-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1

Viscosity is not really an indication of quality, 10w-50 is just thicker across the temp range than a 5w-40. If you look at ranges such as the Millers CFS, Fuchs Pro S, Motul 300v etc where they have multiple viscosities in the same quality range the only difference really is the viscosity.
Cheers,
Guy

Yea, fair enough my mistake. Still better for his modified car though either way lol[emoji106]