Tyres

Ramsay

Need at least two tyres for my Forester 2.0 S turbo. Fitment is 215/60 16 XL. First, is it really best to replace all four at the same time? Second, been recommended Maxxis AP2s, but they're stretching my budget – Blackcircles have a budget tyre that actually gets better ratings than the Maxxis: B, B, 71dB (and most other – even premium – tyres). Are they any good, or should I stear (no pun intended) well clear. And, finally, can anyone make my life easier by telling me they've got four really good part-worns for sale? Many thanks.

you generally find budget tyres wear fast and tend only have better compound on very outer so as wear they perform worse .

Blackcircle don't even give brand or show images of budgets tyres they selling .

Difference is like £20 a tyre, my advise is spend the extra 15 to £20 for better tyre, more so if doing 4k+ a year and expect have car few years .
Budget tyres never end up budget expenditure unless doing very low miles or only keeping car short term ...

mis-matched tyre issues is big concerm on awd, we get at least 2 a month with related issues all down to old and new axle pair mix (have an xc90 in last week with failed output spline partly due to new tyres only fitted on front axle :-S )
If your good 2 close to new you can get away with it but if pretty worn the rolling circumference difference stresses the transmission a lot.
Mix in manufacturer dimension variations and flex differences and things get worse .

Part worns can be good buy but lot of garages/tyre shops won't fit them, we same as technically our liability insurance is voided if not fitting a new tyre .

Was couple options of budget/midrange on eBay in other threads, I would wait for a 10 to 20% site wide coupon from eBay (they normally do one december before or after xmas) ...

only cheap ones I could recommend is riken rp, park of michelin group, they around £44 a tyre and if get lucky with coupon could work out in high 30s .

With UK weather and roads half decent tyres a must, Hankook kinergy nice, nokian weatherproof nice all rounder for a forester but spendy,

Cheap but good options are truly a few . maxxis AP2 not bad all weather or the Hankook kinergy, if budget difficult consider riken as sensible balanced budget tyre .

If buying used always check date codes on sidewalls as many sellers say they only few years old and when look the about 9yrs old and starting dry rot .

• 2 weeks later...

another 15% eBay coupon today and runs to 12th, coupon code XMAS15

Works on tyres as just tried it (set of winter for a customer). Got it on 2 accounts and just spent little over £600 thus saved a 100 on various parts to stock and some tools as prices already good on select items and with extra 15% way cheaper pricing than any of our parts factors .

Enables me give better prices and still use quality parts I like and have items on shelf so no delay .