Potential new Legacy owner

Lude-Scoob

Afternoon all,

I am about to pick up a 2005 Legacy Estate R this weekend and from what I can see it looks like a decent motor its the 2.0 petrol N/A so I believe its the 163hp model?

I'm looking for some advise on what to keep an eye out for. I remember the older wagons had rust issues in and around the strut areas. I believe there is a hell of a lot of paper work with the motor all well serviced and sitting around 131k. Ill likely service come Jan with some decent oil and filters.

Its going to be more of a family work horse Bikes/Dogs/Kid etc more than anything but I do like the look of it and will likely modify a few parts.  

It will be my 1st Subaru having come from a line of Hondas (some pics below) Also I bought a Grand Vitara for winter and the head blew so im aiming for this to be a reliable motor. We also get fairly bad winters in the Glens (Scotland) so again will benefit from this.

Always wanted a Subaru so hoping I will have a good experience.

This is the one I have just sold 2.2 BB4 import Honda Prelude 4th Gen

a5a5501f38cd1990gen.jpg

DSC_1003.jpg

The long term restoration project - Full rebuild with installation of H22 Accord Type R engine.

20160728_192714.jpg

Accord Type R - Was the doner car/engine rust was pretty well on.

20170930_173205.jpg

Accord before that

IMG00723-20111130-1236.jpg

A3 (lasted 3 weeks till I broke it.)

IMG00660-20111021-1335.jpg

Creeping a fair bit back now

IMG00243-20110407-1854-1.jpg

1st Prelude

DSCF4649.jpg

Finally my Sol (id have another one)

361727635a12002360887l.jpg

As you can see mainly a Honda background but looking forward to a Scooby for a change and some fun

Ill not bore anyone with all the other motors inbetween.

Well happy to say I'm a legacy owner. 

Needs a couple of bits - wheel bearing two bottom ball joints. Nothing serious. 

Runs well, pulls well, comfy and all round happy. 

I do have a question I've not had a look into it yet but seems to be nothing coming from the cruise control. 

When I turn ignition on I can see the set light light up. But when driving I cannot seem to get it to work. Any ideas or pointers? 

received_367926587319279.jpeg

5 hours ago, Greenmamba said:

OK. Anything else like hooter not working?

Erm I will check horn tomorrow. 

The mist option when pulling wiper stalk doesn't work. However the button on the end does. 

Bar that everything else seems to work. 

OK. That probably discounts the cause of the cruise not engaging being a failed clock spring but not to rule it out. Is yours a manual or auto? There’s a switch on the clutch pedal (if manual) which disengages cruise if the clutch is depressed, if that switch is faulty Ithink it might prevent cruise from working. Alternatively, linkage with speed sensors on wheels, through the BIU might inhibit cruise. Others probably need to chime in here as I’m running out of ideas. Lastly, the actual switch on the end of the stalk might be u/s.

37 minutes ago, Greenmamba said:

OK. That probably discounts the cause of the cruise not engaging being a failed clock spring but not to rule it out. Is yours a manual or auto? There’s a switch on the clutch pedal (if manual) which disengages cruise if the clutch is depressed, if that switch is faulty Ithink it might prevent cruise from working. Alternatively, linkage with speed sensors on wheels, through the BIU might inhibit cruise. Others probably need to chime in here as I’m running out of ideas. Lastly, the actual switch on the end of the stalk might be u/s.

Appreciate your help on this.

I will get the kick plate off the underside at the pedals and have a look at the switch seems this is a common thing.

Cheers again.