Clutch/flywheel ee20 diesel

Hello forum.

I'm looking at a diesel legacy with tired clutch and finding out the woes and costs of doing the job. I want to ask if anybody has experience with replacing the dual mass flywheel with a solid one on the early diesels' 5 speed gearbox and any advice regarding the work.

Thanks in advance

Tyler

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi Mr B

Thanks for the advice. Are these engines unsuited to remapping then as that's more power of course. My interpretation was it's the low speed shock that's worse and good power delivery (smooth) not too high in the revs is ok. I was considering an economy remap from Celtic tuning.

Cheers

economy remap might be okay, wouldn't want do anything drastic to it or sink to much money into one, 09.10 worst of the bunch but even later years while got better still have potential crank failure and it a spendy mess when happens .

Yes ...

potentially scrap on wheels when goes unless willing spend out serious money .

We could pick up tidy good history 09,10 subarus with dead diesel engines for 400-800 on a monthly basis all pretty local but they not worth repairing really as market value pretty low and most times engines not really good enough rebuild and even with newest revision crank it not cured and other revisions to block etc plays a role ...

Don't say that, I'm about to go pick one up tomorrow. Should I steer clear of the diesels?
I thought euro5 & 6 engines were ok now. Are they not?

Doing about 25000 otherwise I'd be happy with a 2.5i. but anxious about the diesel failing now. Are there any tell tale signs of concern when testing it? This one hadn't run for a week and was ice cold but had a nasty rattly knock when started until it warmed up. Only 1 instance, not sure if the dmf might sound similar to a pinking diesel but I associated it with old rattly diesel van sounds...

Sorry, thread is off piste...

The warm up diesel knock is another issue with them unfortunately ...

Can't recommend early diesels, we won't even sell any as too much of a reputation risk .

For large diesel powered awd estate I would recommend Volvo .

Well... I've owned a few Volvos also! My wife loved hers too. But we moved on and I've considered getting another one (diesel only) but long for another legacy/outback.

Another side track Mr B. Given the wonderful interchangeability of Subaru drive trains, can a 5eat be fitted to a 4eat car?