1st scooby bought naturally its got problems

Richb

Possible timing belt issue I would check the coolant see if it's drained or has mixed, and look under the oil cap see if it looks bad you will notice if it's bad be like mayo mustard. Be better to check the smoke in the day really under street lights at night is hard to get a true colour of what the smoke is. It might be a bluish colour but would white at night if you get what I mean. :)

And have you done any mods like a full through exhaust and not remapped it ?

still boggo standard, ive checked oil and coolent both look fine no milkyness have got some engine codes up, a 45 pressure sensor, 23 maf, 24 isc valve circuit and the usual 11 crankshaft sensor.

it idles fine from cold. going to run it up to temperature now see what happens

I'd say the drop in revs is down to a faulty MAFS almost sure of that. So would say that needs a new one, but could try clean it but has never worked for me :( the smoke I guess could because of the MAF making it mix wrong I'd say that is bring on 45 at least but would start with that rest the codes and see what codes come back 

id say your pretty spot on i cleared the codes went for a longish drive (longer than last nights drive) which it seemed fine idles still not steady though checked the codes and the maf sensor came up again and nothing else. 

the smokeyness went away during the drive. how long or is it ok to drive on a faulty maf? 

cheers 

I wouldn't drive on it being bad if you can help it with it making the mixture bad will soon damage other parts. But I did drive around on mine for about a month and had no issue with it after that occurred. But it will get to a point it will cut out on you when you approach traffic lights round about. I even had it cut out on me going round a corner a few times that kills the power steering thats fun :D

But sooner the better really could try a 2nd hand one you might get lucky but with anything like that run a risk it might be bad also. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

update time, i changed the Maf which sorted it out nicely thankyou for all your help on diagnosing that problem.

though i do stiil have that annoying bogging down under heavy accelleration. it has now covered 125k miles so im thinking of a rebuild or a transplant.

ive done a fair bit of research and im still confused with my exact model

vin - gf8 018996 

engine - ej20gdw5ne (i know ej20g is just early model jdm 2.0 turbos but whats the rest mean?)

applied model - gf8c58d (this is whats confusing me as it could either be a 218bhp wrx or a 258bhp sti v2)

also on the v5 it says its an Impreza R estate......

and would it have a semi closed deck or a full closed deck block