1st scooby bought naturally its got problems

Richb

Hi new here Bought first subaru today a 96 impreza wrx estate (import).

its got a few things wrong though it cruises beautifully, it seems to missfire badly under heavy acceleration(???) hopefully nothing serious would be a shame if its destined for scrap already. 

Still, its awesome regardless of problems

post-1397-0-61158400-1379347470_thumb.jp

post-1397-0-94812900-1379347470_thumb.jp

Welcome aboard fella, could be a dodgy Maf, there is a diagnostics you can do on it, under the drivers side of the dash there are 4 plugs, 2 green and 2 black, they will all be unplugged, plug the 2 black together and turn the ignition on, watch the check engine light and note the flashes it does, there is a full write up on it on the net, I think on scoobypedia but I'm not at the laptop right now so hopefully someone else will be along that knows for sure

• Like 1

cheers, ill have a read now, getting it checked over by local garage tomorrow, 

its just embarressing going for an overtake and all of a sudden it just bogs down with no power its fine when i lift off throttle a little after though.

ill keep you posted with progress.

Could do with keeping any useful posts pinned in the relevant sections everything somebody posts something that could be of use

We was on about doing that before. I have pinned it in the engine section for now. 

And yeah nothing worse going for an over take and it not making it :D 

right just had a look i got a 45 (map sensor) and an 11 (crankshaft position sensor) easy fix's or pain in the ar*e

yeah unfortunatly it was my mother in her hybrid yaris..... she didnt notice but im definetly hangin my head in shame

Blow yeah I can feel your pain ;)

I guess depends how good you are with a set of spanner's :) Both are not big jobs.  I've posted the Admin Some workshop manual's in PDF format to host for us, but I I'm guessing he's been busy so their not on here yet :( but until then I will see if I can find some pictures or even better a video on youtube for you. It's said it's best when replacing Crankshaft Position Sensor, to change (CMP)  Camshaft Posistion Sensor. But can always just risk changing CPS if you still have an error it will be more likely CMP.

If you let us know be happy to help you locate where they are if you want to try yourself :) 

sometimes cleaning them can fix it, i had a clio in once that a garage had diagnosed a faulty head gasket and it was just the crank sensor at fault, took it off, cleaned the carbon off it and refitted and it was good for a couple of years till the owner upgraded to a newer car

sensor_diagram_zps55a5be2d.gif

1-Pressure sensor

2-Pressure exchange solenoid valve

3-Wastegate control solenoid valve

4-MAP sensor

5-Oxygen sensor

6-Vehicle speed sensor 2

7-Engine coolant temperature sensor

8-Throttle position sensor

9-Idle switch

10-Idle air control solenoid valve

11-Knock sensor

12-Camshaft position sensor

13-Crankshaft position sensor

14-Purge control solenoid valve

• Like 3

so it came back from the garage with no faults, apparently the codes are old and just havent been cleared but still got the problem of the car all of a sudden missfiring under heavy acceleration, though am pleased all it needs is a new clutch and itll fly through the mot.

start with easy things first,spark plug gaps,and clean all sencers (maf)you can get too,had many a problem myself ,with missfiring etc,spark gaps,is a must to check,as could be plugs are gapped wrong,and under throttle,isnt igniting fuel,start easy,the fauklt on my car turned out to be something as silly as a vacum pipe with pin hole,,which caused loads of hassle :0( wish you all the best 

• Like 2

yeh they run miles better on optimax from Shell or ultimate from bp, tesco also do 100 ron i believe, i've had issues with asdas petrol in the past on other cars, they seem to run rough on it like it's watered down type of thing

do you know how to clear the codes? unplug the Battery for an hour or more and they clear from the system, if there are no faults store after the clear the check engine light just does a constant flash, no pattern to it as such

• 3 months later...

hello I'm back, with more problems. 

yesterday i went out, was only a short journey 3-4 miles at most, but at the end of my journey the engine would not idle right kept dropping to 200-300 rpm sometimes under but didn't stall the engine light flashed up every time the revs went above that and loads of smoke pouring out the exhaust my mate said he could smell petrol the smoke was white (i think it was 1030 at night), so i parked it up over night and just gone to get it and it started fine idled fine no warning lights on no smoke though i haven't let it warm up fully yet which is when it seemed to start having problems last night. 

once again i ask for your wisdom of what i can check any solutions or suggestions welcome

thank you