fault code P0409 help

Druid

Hi my 2009 forester diesel has the CEL and anti skid lights on. Diagostics tool showed P0409 egr sensor A circuit and P0403. So far I have cleared all faults and the lights came back on after a few miles,  checked the fuses -ok, checked the hoses for leaks - ok, checked for a clogged up EGR valve - ok. I am now about to change the fuel filter cap.  My confusion is that P0409 appears to relate to a faulty oxygen sensor -sensor A- and the technical workshop manual only refers to sensors 1 and 2 at the front of the engine bay on the cat (at least that's what I think it I)s. I don't want to change both sensors  which one is sensor A ? I understand the 2 sensors are both different . This appears to be a common problem.  She runs and drives fine with these lights on. Any other suggestions on solving this . Many Thanks.

Those codes are egr valve and normally egr valve position sensor not giving values ecu expects at the commanded duty value (valve sticky or position sensor inaccurate) .

Most likely will need new EGR valve but diagnose first rather than shooting parts at it ...

Thanks. I the EGR valve position sensor integral to the EGR ? eg can you buy a separate part , if so where is it on the engine ?

Regards

D

Integral .

Sometime proper good cleaning of the egr will keep it serviceable for a while but these valves work in such harsh conditions it basically a service part in reality .

• 3 weeks later...