impreza uk 2000 underboost

niall

shes a 97.. gc8 ej20 ....uk2000

have recently bought a new subaru. was leaking at cat so had decat done on the factory cat.

since then i installed turbo guages which show its running 0.5 bar boost and no more. 

actuator seems stiff

checked solenoid (2 port) seems ok could it be a lack of backpressure at cat

would a remap fix this any ideas.

havent checkwd restrictor pill hole yet but if disconnect the actuator she runs over 1.4 so its not the turbo or fmic. 

i did find a hole in fmic patched it with steel stick and wrapped it in rubber to prevent further wear on pipe.

Edited by niall
added car year

From memory a 97 UK turbo has about 220hp and only runs 0.6 bar from the factory , so quite possible it's running the correct amount of boost .

Running a decat and fmic but not being mapped is quite risky and could lead to a expensive rebuild .

Personally I wouldn't drive a scooby on boost with those major breathing mods until its mapped .

The standard tdo4 is fairly small and not really suited to a fmic , they're much more responsive on a tmic . Due to the extra volume of air needed to fill a fmic and it's pipework (bigger turbos fill the fmic quicker)

fmic came on the car... il be after a tdo5 in the future. so it can sit for now.... 

so you reckon the remap will sort it.?..

not the first to say that but the td04 spools so early u cant really avoid some boost on normal driving... 

just get remapped asap then savage?

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

From memory a 97 UK turbo has about 220hp and only runs 0.6 bar from the factory , so quite possible it's running the correct amount of boost .

Running a decat and fmic but not being mapped is quite risky and could lead to a expensive rebuild .

Personally I wouldn't drive a scooby on boost with those major breathing mods until its mapped .

The standard tdo4 is fairly small and not really suited to a fmic , they're much more responsive on a tmic . Due to the extra volume of air needed to fill a fmic and it's pipework (bigger turbos fill the fmic quicker)

Not too sure if that chart applies to your model , as it says my 00 at the top and no year difference on the UK turbo section ? . 

Some of the sti and other model ECU numbers don't look right to me either but I could be wrong .

Was fairly sure my old UK v3 ran 0.6 bar before I had it mapped with a esl daughter board up to 1.4 bar (265 hp) but that was almost 10 yrs ago lol .

With those mods it does need remapping and you'd certainly get more power /higher boost target but it's difficult to say if that will "fix" any issues 

Bear in mind The tdo4 and grey injectors will limit the remap numbers to sub 290hp .

Might be worth getting a smoke test done ,to make sure non of the other fmic pipework or inlet tract is leaking boost first . As I may be wrong about the standard v3 UK boost being only 0.6 bar.

The other possibility could be that it's in limp mode due to the mods , most models will only run 0.5 bar if the ECU senses something running outside its base map parameters. 

As I said before,  i personally wouldn't be using boost on a scooby that's had a decat and fmic fitted without being mapped . If it leans off or overboosts there's a good chance you'll be footing the bill for a rebuild,  which is much more costly than a esl remap .

thanks il get it done soon cleaned the actuator there. and waitin on an upgraded radiator coming so she off road atm anyway til i fit that.

thanks il get it looked at asa