New age WRX STi Owners I need your help!!!

Matt91uk

Ok, so a year or so ago I sold my WRX STi hatch in favour of a Skoda Octavia VRS due to having a young child and a large dog (Labrador) therefore wanting for something bigger... however regretting my decision I am thinking of getting a new age 2017~ ish WRX STi... however there is no way my dog could go on the back seats as she molts to much and would not sit still, even with a doggy seat belt and seat covers it would be a nightmare, so my question is, can you remove the ‘parcel shelf’ (if such thing exists) in the new age saloon? Or is it fixed in place? If removed, could the dog sit behind the back seats in the boot, but with her head popping up and be able to see out of the back window?

Only other option is another hatch, but they’re all high mileage and I do a fair few miles myself and fancy something a bit newer and nicer inside. 

Thanks
Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt - sorry, late response to your question. I haven't been on here for a few years and a google search LED me here. Then I saw you thread.

There are very few of us on here - well there was not many the last time I posted in 2018 - so info / knowledge about these late WRX's (info specific to these) is thin on the ground.

To answer your questions - no I don't think that the parcel shelf removes itself and as for carrying a dog in the back, it is unlikely. You really do need a hatch or an estate. It would ruin the rear seat / rear area, what you are thinking of doing here.

Have you considered a Levorg ? I would suggest the STi, given the type of performance you have and the fact that the UK versions are a bit meek. But the issue is if you are comfortable with JDM's and also parts might be scarce as there aren't many Levorg STi's here (or indeed that type of lump here).

The alternative - if you want a real bruiser and a wagon - is the Legacy. Take your pick of which generation although I would steer clear of the 5th Gen as it isn't much of a looker. The 3.0L Spec B Gen 4 (2003-09) is a real cracker and the twinscroll JDM as well of that era. They are 10+ years old now but they would suit your purpose and they have all of the manners of a typical Subaru to boot.

1 hour ago, Daz-RSK said:

Hi Matt - sorry, late response to your question. I haven't been on here for a few years and a google search led me here. Then I saw you thread.

There are very few of us on here - well there was not many the last time I posted in 2018 - so info / knowledge about these late WRX's (info specific to these) is thin on the ground.

To answer your questions - no I don't think that the parcel shelf removes itself and as for carrying a dog in the back, it is unlikely. You really do need a hatch or an estate. It would ruin the rear seat / rear area, what you are thinking of doing here.

Have you considered a Levorg ? I would suggest the STi, given the type of performance you have and the fact that the UK versions are a bit meek. But the issue is if you are comfortable with JDM's and also parts might be scarce as there aren't many Levorg STi's here (or indeed that type of lump here).

The alternative - if you want a real bruiser and a wagon - is the Legacy. Take your pick of which generation although I would steer clear of the 5th Gen as it isn't much of a looker. The 3.0L Spec B Gen 4 (2003-09) is a real cracker and the twinscroll JDM as well of that era. They are 10+ years old now but they would suit your purpose and they have all of the manners of a typical Subaru to boot.

Hey thanks for your response! I swear just over a year ago when I was on this forum is was extremely active... but seems quiet now.. maybe its because I asked about a new age!

I did think about a Levorg, however as you say it would need to be an STi which I think are maybe coming to UK this year or next? But then it’ll be new car money :’(. I would ideally like something newer, i.e. 2017 model year or newer rather than an older legacy. So i think I’m pretty stuck as my dog would 100% destroy the rear seats, so definitely not worth it. 

I would go with another hatch, but they’re ageing a bit now and I do a fair few miles each year (around 20k), so don’t want to buy something high mileage. 

I have 2 black labs,To stop a lot if melting give them a tea spoon of original flora every day,it won’t stop it completely but it will stop quite a bit I also wouldn’t put my dogs in the back of a hatch or estate as you probably know if you get rear ended you’ll probably have a dead dog,I also have a sausage but she sits in the front cos she thinks she is the boss