Buying a Subaru XV privately! Guidance needed please.

Eslam Ghazy

Hello everyone,

I am a NHS doctor looking to buy a used car to commute to and from work, a 50 mile ride almost daily. I recently came a cross a 2015 Subaru XV with 72000 miles under its belt. I will be the third owner if the deal goes through. It doesn't have any serious faults and it passed an MOT this March. It has a cracked windshield that didn't stop it passing the MOT (would cost 315£ to change) and it doesn't have a spare wheel. My questions are:

1- how much does a spare wheel cost, and what will I need to do to make it fit in the boot, it doesn't seem to have space?

2- what would be a fair price for this car?

3- would this car be a good fit for the needs I stated? I have a small family, and I will use it for shopping and weekend trips as well.

4- are there any hidden running costs for this model? Its reviews on YouTube seem ok.

Thank you all...

Hey, and welcome. 

Is this a diesel or a petrol model you are looking? 

We have a 2013 diesel xv and it is just approaching that kind of mileage. So far outwith usual discs, pads, filters and fluids, all we have had to do is change wheel bearings, and the boot release switch. Bearings can be expensive using a subaru main dealer, but reasonable with an independent garage. 

I think soon we will need some general wear and tear items like bushings etc, but probably nothing out of the ordinary for that kind of mileage. 

As for a spare wheel, you will have to raise the boot floor slightly, remove the inserts, there was an option to get this from the showroom, but how many went for it I do not know. We have survived (touch wood) with just the gunk and tire inflator

I expect you would be able to get a tire for around £100.

On that note, tyres can be an unexpected cost as you are supposed to change all 4 at the same time, so for that reason, its worth getting them rotated and an alignment done to make the most of them. 

Let us know what engine and gearbox you are looking at and hopefully someone can guide you on price. 

Hi Eslam

I have had my XV for 3 years and had front brake calipers replaced under warranty. Since then well pleased with the XV - this is my third Subaru (previously boy racer Imprezas). The XV is a good all round SUV and as good as any for your purpose. Up here in Jockland the all wheel drive and high clearance is perfect for winters.

As to your queries I will only reply to the issue of the spare wheel. I opted for a space saver wheel/tyre- purchased from Tyremen Ltd - www.tyremen.co.uk  (£179 complete). Just remove the foam from under the boot floor cover - purchase a retaining fixing bolt - The Wheel Shop - www.thewheelshop.co.uk  (£12.95) - and the space saver fits in nicely. The boot floor is threaded for the fixing bolt.There is still room under the floor in the well of the wheel for jack, tools etc.