brakes keep going soft please helo

jojo30

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Few things it could be mate when did you last have the fluid changed might be due. Moisture and other foreign bodies sit's in it reducing how good it works. Rubber break hoses are expanding under breaking as they get old an worn they could be on the way out too. I can't think of anything else :) 

Hi

well the rear brakes were changed last night and new brake fluid was used but still going soft as in pedal right to the floor u have to tap them a couple of times to get hard while driving but then happens again

I would say you still have air in them. I was told there is a set way you should bleed them, but not sure how right that is. I will have a look for the said pattern to bleed worth a shot. Or the master cylinder is not working well. 

Thank u : ) just really needed some advice as never had a scooby do this before. My mechanic bled them all by the little thing at back of caliper he said master cylinder but want to try other options before spending alot of money on a master cylinder

they need doing a set way to keep the air out of the main system, most cars are like that to be honest, also i had the same issue when i upgraded my brakes, bled them as i was fitting them but had the soft pedal pump to get hard pedal feel, Dogma told me the order in which to bleed and it worked a treat

• Like 1

yes, same order as Gambit said, what i meant by the way your doing it, basically theres 2 ways that will get best results, 1 get a 1 man bleeding kit, you need to get one with a chain/strap to attach to the fluid bottle as it's not a threaded top, these ones can be quite expensive, the other method is the 2 man way, 1 in the car pushing the pedal, the other undoing the nipples

person 1 sit in car

person 2 get to the correct corner

p2 get the spanner ready on the nipple DO NOT undo yet

p1 pump the pedal a few times till firm then when firm keep pressure on and shout ready to p2

p2 undo nipple slowly, you should see fluid coming out and if air is present it will spit

p1 when pedal is getting low shout ready to p2

p2 tighten nipple

repeat these steps until no spitting is coming from nipple and each corner in the order Gambit said

if you still have spongy brakes it could be a split pipe somewhere letting air in or the garage that did the bleed used fluid that's been open for a while, brake fluid absorbs moisture over short periods if left on a shelf unsealed, if this is then placed in a car it can give symptoms of air in the system