Upgrading Brakes on an Impreza GX

VarunLal

Hi guys,
I bought a 2001 Impreza GX bugeye, however the brakes were completely shot and I decided to get WRX brakes from the same year.
However as the brake discs and callipers are bigger than the stock ones, the calliper mounting bolts do reach the holes where they go they are a bit further down as the discs are bigger.
I need help in deciding whether to find brackets that can help me mount the new callipers or whether I should replace the brake backing plates to ones from a WRX. Would the brake backing plates fit the stock wheel hub?
Any suggestions and any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi, yes front 4 pots bolt straight on with correct discs to you hubs. 

Get the front disc backing plates from I.c.p with the new backing plate bolts calliper bolts & yes the plates swap straight on, usually your snap a rusty old bolt that holds the backing plates on so be prepared to drill out & retap.  LoL. 

The rear 2 pots will need the brackets& spacers kit. Usually found on eBay. For about £30 if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

Hi, I tried and the front ones do bolt straight on, thank you.

For the rear ones the brackets I find on eBay all say that they are to fit 2 pot callipers onto classic imprezas, but that  is also a 1 pot to 2 pot upgrade is that the kit that would help me too? 

Thanks for the prompt help.

Hold on a minute....

we are talking about 4-pots replacing the oem fronts AND 2-pots replacing the oem rears?

or on the rear, have you got slightly larger 1-pots replacing the smaller 1-pots(pads different shape & size) ?

if your using 2-pots to replace the oem 1-pots, then yes, 1-pot to 2-pot brackets are needed. 

If your swapping larger 1-pots to replace smaller 1-pots I don't think it needs any brackets, just needs the correct sized discs.but not really worth swapping. 

• Like 1

yes, 4-pots replacing the oem fronts and 2-pots from a wrx replacing the oem rears.

I ordered a bracket advertised for the 1-pot to 2-pots, it arrives on monday, I'll try and put them on coming wednesday and update here.

Many thanks!