Flat battery

suem

Does anyone else have a problem with their XV not starting without warning? Mine has done this now three times and I have met a couple of other people who also have this problem ( one 8 times) The Battery is completely flat and won't turn over the engine. I have taken it to the main dealers and they can't find a problem but the last rescue mechanic said that he has come across this several times. Before I contact Subaru I'd like to know if this is a common fault.

7 hours ago, suem said:

Does anyone else have a problem with their XV not starting without warning? Mine has done this now three times and I have met a couple of other people who also have this problem ( one 8 times) The battery is completely flat and won't turn over the engine. I have taken it to the main dealers and they can't find a problem but the last rescue mechanic said that he has come across this several times. Before I contact Subaru I'd like to know if this is a common fault.

Yes, it's a well known problem.  See this site and search Battery issues for shared experiences and also advice.

Others on here have given advice.  In brief, don't do multiple short journeys; drive with your sidelights on all the time (in the day) to force the alternator to charge the Battery and keep it topped up.  If you've got a powered tailgate don't leave it open too long with the engine off; etc. etc.

Use 'dealer mode' and 'factory mode' on your infotainment screen to check the charging of your Battery so as to monitor its health and charging levels.

Make sure you put the key fob into 'sleep-mode' at the end of the day or if you're storing the keys anywhere near the car (say if youre camping) so the car's electrics isn't constantly sending data to and fro the fob.

Switch off the internet connection uploads options  on your car to stop it searching automatically for updates, etc.

Also, https://www.motorbiscuit.com/subaru-owners-suing-over-frustrating-battery-drain-issues/ to see issues elsewhere and class action abasing Subaru. I think Subaru have recently (in the US) agreed to settle the claims (ie admitted there's an issue - not sure if it includes crosstrees/xvs).

Check out the US subaruxvforum.org too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-TCgmXkb4

Thanks for that. This is a car that I bought for reliability as I travel long distances on my own and spend time in remote locations. Otherwise a great car just ned to sort out this problem

• 1 year later...

Hi , just had my third experience in 2 and 5 months o f ownership . On the first occasion I know an inside light was left on . On the subsequent occasions , this morning was the most recent hence searching the subject , there was no obvious reason . Interested to hear about possibly communicating with the key , I had wondered about that. Those last two occasions I moved the car to a sheltered location because of high winds to right outside the bedroom window . Mrs C's car keys would have been max 20 feet away. 

I'm not sure if it's same with the Gen6 OB rear boot internal light switch, but I read many reviews about the Gen5.  These report how very easy it is to inadvertently knock on the light in the roof (top of the rear hatch) and if this happens i the daytime, for example, you'll not realise the light is on and Battery drain happens.  As such, lots of owners have taped this in the permanently off position.  Seems to work for me.

Yes, when I leave the car and I'm at home, I always switch the key fob to 'sleep' mode.  You can test this easily by, once in sleep mode' and with the keys in your hand, try and open the driver's (or passenger's) door by pulling at the handle.  Obviously, it shouldn't open. A few times, when I've rushed the 'sleep' mode sequence, I've found the key is still active - so it's worth checking until you get the knack of this.  Press and hold the lock button and simultaneously, and quickly. press the blue open button x4. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For some years I have driven Subarus on closed roads (Response driver for the Isle of Man TT races), my favourite was a Forester with a 2.5 turbo Police pursuit engine, great fun! One year they gave me an XV and I hated it. The Battery kept going flat and it was slow and lumpy. The Subaru engineer who was on the Island to fettle the response cars said it was a common problem, and suggested every night I should connect a Battery charger. Needless to say, the following year I made sure someone else got the XV!