Cleaning Hypersilver Finish Wheels

mfnick

Wondered if any of you guys have any experience with alloys finished in Hypersilver? I just can't get them clean!!!

I've used my normal cleaning stuff on them, I've tried some heavy duty all wheel cleaner on them - which is meant to be good enough to clean even chrome wheels - plus some elbow grease and nothing! It gets rid of the surface dirt and brake dust but I can't ge rid of the grey staining.

7zlf.jpg

Now I've had a couple of drives since my last clean so they weren't as bad as in that pic but even just after a clean a lot of those grey stains are still there.

Any ideas? I know there must be a way because they were shiney and almost as reflective as a mirror when I first bought the car. I've tried google and that didnt help either :(

I've got an acid based cleaner but its for chrome wheels. And it has loads of warnings about not using on anything other than chrome so not used that. Plus my google searches said not to use it either, although they say normal cleaning products work and they don't in my experience.

Thanks for moving the thread for me btw. Didnt mean to post in general.

No worry's mate didn't really matter just thought it was better here :D 

I know I had some like that with black on the inside's of the spokes. It did the same thing I ended up spraying them all black in the end :( 

I'd maybe just try a little bit of the acid cleaner on a part of the wheel just a small part of it and see how it goes. or even take the wheel off and try it on the inside of the alloy. 

Yea I might give it a test try in a very small area. I'm thinking of getting them resprayed or even another set of wheels anyway but that's a while away yet so would like them to be clean at least until that point!

i've just bought some optimal wheel cleaner that a mate of mine makes and sells, my wheels were black on the front, i sprayed with the jet wash and got rid of a little of it, i then applied the wheel cleaner, waited till it was dark purple and jet washed off, the wheels came out looking brand new with no physical effort needed, here is his eBay sales link click

i can't rate this stuff enough, he's a good bloke too and will happily advise you on what to use for whatever problem you have

click for website you would be better calling instead of emailing as he is extremely busy and can't always get to his email straight away, just tell him Miggs sent you

• Like 2

i used to have some dished wheels with a 4" bare alloy lip, they were a nightmare to clean after the winter build up of crap, i had to use a polishing wheel on a dremel with some autosol solvol metal polish, takes a while but it worked

Well I've tried the chrome cleaner in a small section - did nothing. I've tried autosol - actually made it worse.

Ill give clay bar a go next and ill email your mate Miggs (thing the pic might help to explain better than me nattering down the phone), doesnt matter if it takes him a bit to reply.

As for getting them done in a different colour. Got a bit of good news on that. Just dropped my car off with Martin at sheff subaru services and he knows someone who does alloy powder coating - hopefully for a good price - so when I've finally got the cash I think ill definitely be doing that if this finish continue being such a pain. Just got to decide on what colour.

• Like 1

Sound's like a good result I will finally get to me the boy's on Wednesday :D  And don't saying anything to much BoofleGem might hear but I might even pop and watch Thor 2 while I'm there just to kill some time :D 

I will give it a watch still, I always watch them just so I can make my own mind up. Had people before say a film sucks and I've enjoyed it. I thought same as Captain America, they rushed the movies to quick to get on with avengers but that's me :D Anyway I might even watch two depends when they start and finish :D 

Argh! Sounds like they're !Removed!!

Got a reply from Miggs' mate and he thinks some kind of acid based cleaner has been used on them which i think is from when I took it to a hand car wash and its removed the finish. :( Obviously don't get receipts at places like that and it was a couple of weeks ago so don't have a leg to stand on by sounds of things.

Did a quick google search and turns out I'm not the only one this has happened too.

These were brand new moments before going to one:

http://m.imgur.com/a/PRFeH

Looks the exact same kind of problem.

There's a very slim chance it could be the tyre shine stuff that's run onto them and soaked in which could be removed with some oil removing product but sounds like new alloys or a refurb are the only way to go. God Damnit!

So a word of warning peeps, if you are going to a hand cleaners, make sure they don't touch your alloys. Never know what could happen. I've been using them for years and this is the first time I've had a problem...

Yeah, I obviously prefer not to use them and they're never as good as when you wash the car yourself but sometimes I just don't have time and it'd been 3 weeks since its last wash. Plus I struggle to get it in front of the house sometimes so when i do have the time I can't use the hose and end up having to do 100 laps with the buckets. So let them do their quick wash then it'll only take me a couple of last with the buckets to finish it off lol.

Anyway like I say I've used them every so often for years and never had a problem so didnt really think anything of it. Live and learn!

Just another thing to be added to the ever growing list. Although I wasn't happy with the alloys as they were anywa so would have been something I'd have done sooner or later. Would have preferred later though.