Electronic parking brake vs Handbrake

norfolkRX

Well just wondered, as you do, whether the electronic parking brake would function like an 'old fashioned' handbrake in an emergency.

I tried pulling up on it at about 10 mph and it locked the back wheels and the car came to an abrupt halt. I'm not sure if the switch is an on/off one or a progressive one but the brakes release OK when you let go of it.

Probably for smoother deceleration you'd knock the drive into L and use the EPB when slow enough?

If engineered correctly and control module software good it should not lock wheels if used in emergency.
reality is it a complete waste of manufacture complexity and a massive pain in the butt and wallet for owners in the long run ...

3 hours ago, Mr B said:

If engineered correctly and control module software good it should not lock wheels if used in emergency.
reality is it a complete waste of manufacture complexity and a massive pain in the butt and wallet for owners in the long run ...

Yes I agree, I'm a physical mechanical connection is best, sort of person. I saw a video on what to do in the event of hydraulic brake failure in an automatic, by a driving instructor.

I think it was a Ford and the electronic handbrake stopped the car progressively but quickly - which is what you want. Maybe the technique is to modulate the switch so it is like cadence braking?

I've only had brake failure once in my life, Wartburg Knight of all things, luckily the drum handbrake was powerful and easy to control so no harm done.

I would be worried about having to apply an EPB at speed, especially in the wet, if you had a lock up then all sorts of sideways action could be on the cards, i've been told that the electronics won't allow a lock up but seeing how slow in real terms the EPB mechanism operates with no ability to 'feather' the application i doubt the electronics could do anywhere near as good a job as a switched on driver operating a well maintained manual park brake lever.

They've got them in trucks now, i hate the things, the only way you know its applied is via the little red LED on the park brake switch, i want to see a traditional air park brake lever locked in the down position, you know at a glance the park brake is applied and no mistake.

Been driving 50 years now, can't recall in all that time ever wishing the park brake was electric nor can i recall anyone else wishing so either, an answer to a question no one asked.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 3:34 PM, Judd said:

I've only had brake failure once in my life, Wartburg Knight of all things, luckily the drum handbrake was powerful and easy to control so no harm done.

I would be worried about having to apply an EPB at speed, especially in the wet, if you had a lock up then all sorts of sideways action could be on the cards, i've been told that the electronics won't allow a lock up but seeing how slow in real terms the EPB mechanism operates with no ability to 'feather' the application i doubt the electronics could do anywhere near as good a job as a switched on driver operating a well maintained manual park brake lever.

They've got them in trucks now, i hate the things, the only way you know its applied is via the little red led on the park brake switch, i want to see a traditional air park brake lever locked in the down position, you know at a glance the park brake is applied and no mistake.

Been driving 50 years now, can't recall in all that time ever wishing the park brake was electric nor can i recall anyone else wishing so either, an answer to a question no one asked.

Every cloud.  I know exactly what you mean about EPB.  It might be of no consequence to you, but a small one to me as a horse rider, is that when I've met very helpful lorry drivers who have stopped when they see you riding along the lane, the 'sudden hiss' of the air brakes can send a horse apoleptic - and makes for an 'eventful' hack out 🙂