New on SOC

My name is Menno, forum name menno out. In the distant past I drove an Impreza that belonged to my father. And many years ago I rented a Leone RHD in Cyprus (my fellow travel companions: 'do you trust such an unknown brand?!'). Why not buy a Subaru sooner? Well, there are practical reasons for this, such as available finances. All cars that follow have been purchased second- or multi-hand.

The first car I could just buy was a dilapidated Fiat 127 and actually it was a Seat. It was probably a converted car, but because I was a pathetic and especially poor student, I got away with it at the MOT. After a holiday in Portugal, a crankshaft bearing broke down and that was it. A little more than 25 years ago came the second: Honda Civic 4G in red. I had a lot of fun with that until he was run over by a truck. I came away with a scratch and a trauma, but the tone was set: no more smaller and low car. I mistakenly bought a Kadett E to fill the gap quickly, but standing still in the middle of a highway was no fun. Soon I exchanged it for a Mazda 626 Station Comprex. A diesel that I have driven a lot of kilometers. For a number of years it went well for me and I bought a CX Limousine for fun, which I still have. At a certain point, I didn't have to drive many kilometers anymore, and that was the reason to get rid of the Mazda, with pain in my heart.

And then? Time for a car that has been on my list since 1996/7: Galant 8G. First, a simple 2.0. Exchanged for a V6 MT within a year. And many followed, I count 11 in total. In the end, all AT and LPG. At one point a front wheel bearing had to be replaced. The dealer sent a bill for 650 euri's. An acquaintance said: I could have done that for 150. And I thought: if he can do it, so can I. And since then I've been tinkering with it myself and already have quite a few parts in my warehouse.

Now we're getting a little closer to a Subaru. Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGzcYdd7kY0. They are similar cars! So when my daily Galant the Vialle installation recently sputtered a bit and I didn't have time to look up the fault(s!), I decided to look for a successor. Unfortunately, the advertisements in NL and D did not yield any more usable copies. But within a few days, I was driving back home in a Subaru Outback 2.5i with a big grin.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:03 AM, menno out said:

And many followed, I count 11 in total. In the end

Actually, I've had 12 8G's. There is a Legnum VR4-S 1996 RHD among them that I still have.